24ai stuck on loading screen

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
nerfballs
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

24ai stuck on loading screen

Post by nerfballs »

My 24ai is failing to load past the third cycle of the loading screen. It just freezes and at that point does not respond to front panel buttons or AVB networking. I've disconnected all cables and am plugged to power with a direct cable. If I hold either the SEL or ID buttons before the loader starts, I'm able to access two different firmware update dialog screens.
IMG8295.jpg
IMG8295.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 470 times
Does anyone have any experience with this issue or advice for things I could try?

Backstory is that I'm connecting this to a new M2 pro Mac Mini (Ventura). It was working fine after installing the latest drivers and appeared correctly in the Audio/MIDI setup. I ignored it for awhile and started adding extra peripherals to the USB bus and at some point it lost sync/removed itself from the Audio/MIDI setup. I rebooted the 24ai and it was never able to get past the third wave of the loader. My hunch is that it's just gotten stuck in some bios freakout and maybe a firmware update or hard reset might help. At least that's me being optimistic. I saw that there were some special secuirty adjustments that were needed on the M1 processor with certain interfaces but the 24ai wasn't listed (https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... rm=silicon). I would think that could be an issue except the unit is freezing even with all cables disonnected so at the very least hardware conflicts aren't immediately the problem.

Appreciate any wisdom that might be out there. Thanks in advance.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: 24ai stuck on loading screen

Post by James Steele »

I hope you find an answer. I have a 24Ai as well, but haven't had any problems. I daisy chain it off the back of my 828es. I hate to kick the can down the road, but this might be something you would need to contact MOTU about. Not sure if there is a hard reset, or if you can get into the firmware update dialog, updating firmware would be a good idea or not? You'd obviously have to be connected to your Mac via ethernet cable to do a firmware update. I've only updated firmware on mine once if I remember correctly, but I don't remember "two different firmware update dialog screens."

Sounds like time to call the mothership... this board isn't run by MOTU... so might be someone there might have a better answer for you. I don't remember if they still do phone support. Used to be if you got up early and started dialing at 9am EST you could get a tech on the phone who might be able to help. Might just be support tickets now?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
nerfballs

Post by nerfballs »

Hey James. Thanks for the reply. Turns out it's a power supply failure. I bought the unit second hand and reported the problem to the seller who admitted the same thing had happened some years ago and was repaired under warranty. We'll be working out a return/refund. Posting the outcome here in case anyone comes looking for diagnosis in the future.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

For anyone else finding this in a search, there is a factory reset procedure:

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/reset
24Ai: Push the ID button on the front panel of the unit. Use the arrow keys to navigate to Settings menu option. Push SEL button. Use the down arrow key to navigate to Factory Defaults. Push SEL button to prompt the reset, push SEL again to perform reset
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Thanks Mike!
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8