AVB over Powerline (ethernet over mains power)

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
aranm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

AVB over Powerline (ethernet over mains power)

Post by aranm »

I have an 828 with AVB and a Stage 16.

I want to run them in separate rooms in the house. I would like to avoid running an ethernet cable between the two.

I want to know if I can run ethernet over the mains power.

Using something like this:

https://www.amazon.com.au/TP-Link-TL-PA ... 1988&psc=1
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: AVB over Powerline (ethernet over mains power)

Post by James Steele »

I have no idea. You’d probably be the first person to try something like this. I’d be very skeptical something like that would work.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I’ve got those TP-Link adapters. They do work, but not very well. They’re finicky and don’t like some power lines, and the instructions specifically state that they won’t work with power strips or extension cords. I certainly wouldn’t use them for any mission critical work.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
aranm

Post by aranm »

i do use them in another house i have. they work fine in that location. the power is on the same circuit and it is an easy way to extend wifi range. i just dont know the tech behind them. are they a straight link or fo they contain a network switch? dunno.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A 3-wire circuit has a Hot, Neutral and a Ground that may or may not tie to the Neutral outside the building depending on the code. It depends on how clean the wiring is whether or not it will work at all. CAT 5 cables and above have multiple twisted pairs and shields to ensure maximum transfer with minimum interference. The wires behind the wall have none of this, of course unless in a metal conduit tied to G..

Phantom power works by sending power up the H and N wires and returning it through the Shield (G). The H and N differential carries the audio and is normally unaffected (assuming that the cables are terminated correctly at the connectors, of course).

Anyone remember the little adapters designed to turn your house wiring into a giant TV antenna? These were advertised in magazines and Radio Shack carried them. Same principle.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro