Quickscribe: Where is the 8va (octave up) symbol and dotted line?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
happymoogman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Quickscribe: Where is the 8va (octave up) symbol and dotted line?

Post by happymoogman »

In Quickscribe: Where is the 8va (octave up) symbol and dotted line kept?

It's gotta be in there, somewhere....

Dana Countryman
Apple 27" iMac Intel Core i7 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 5750, SuperDrive, TA, DP9, El Capitan, Reason, Ivory, samplemodeling, Kontact, Kirk Hunter Diamond Symphony, REAL analog modular synth!
stubbsonic

Re: Quickscribe: Where is the 8va (octave up) symbol and dotted line?

Post by stubbsonic »

Nope. The QuickScribe is, as the name implies, kind of a rudimentary notation program. It lacks some important things like articulations, slurs, ability to control bars per line (line-by-line), etc.

I have stretched QS probably more than most. You can do some damage by using text boxes in clever ways. I usually print to PDF then do more mischief in outside programs.

But yea, it can be disappointing to have to fight this thing.

The change note spelling has been broken for years, and MOTU has not figured out how to fix it, or perhaps has other priorities.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
happymoogman

Post by happymoogman »

Thanks, Jon. Well, that's disappointing

Is there a way to change key signatures WITHIN a stave? For example, at measure 3 of a 4-measure line?

Also, is there a way to add bowing technique over the notes?

I'm guessing the answers are "no", but I'm hoping otherwise.

dc

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:50 pm Nope. The QuickScribe is, as the name implies, kind of a rudimentary notation program. It lacks some important things like articulations, slurs, ability to control bars per line (line-by-line), etc.

I have stretched QS probably more than most. You can do some damage by using text boxes in clever ways. I usually print to PDF then do more mischief in outside programs.

But yea, it can be disappointing to have to fight this thing.

The change note spelling has been broken for years, and MOTU has not figured out how to fix it, or perhaps has other priorities.
Apple 27" iMac Intel Core i7 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 5750, SuperDrive, TA, DP9, El Capitan, Reason, Ivory, samplemodeling, Kontact, Kirk Hunter Diamond Symphony, REAL analog modular synth!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If you insert a key change on any measure in the conductor track, it will be reflected in the QS score (multiple tracks selected) or parts (individual tracks selected).

The bowing technique is possible, but this is a terrible way to do it.

1. Find a font that has the bowing markings you need.

2. In the QS window choose the page text tool. You can go to the Text pull-down menu and choose "show fonts" to choose your bow markings font.

3. Now you can click above the notes and start typing them in. Good luck getting them to line up.

The above method might work for typing something that looks like 1st & 2nd endings:

A less terrible way:

Print the part to PDF. Open it in Preview, open the Markup Toolbar.
Now you can type things in there. What's nice about this approach
is that you can option drag copies of things.

You could export the SMF or MusicXML, and work in a better notation program.

If you don't have one, Muse Score might be worth a look. It's free, but
has morphed from freeware to obnoxiousware.

https://musescore.org/en/download/mac
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
happymoogman

Post by happymoogman »

Thanks for that!

dc
drburt2

Post by drburt2 »

Hi,

Please add these as feature requests at motu.com.

I have been doing so for years!

It is absurd not to have these. Also needed is the ability to cvhange clef mid staff.

Play both hands high on the piano, then both hands low. Look at the nightmare fror playback or editing that QS creates! Send a copy to MOTU!
Deep shame should result! (Also harp psrt suffer - viola, cello, bass, tbn etc all need a staff that can change clefs during the course of a cue!!