Complaint about Waves Central...

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

I have to make one complaint here about how Wave Central functions. They really need to update this to be able to uninstall individual plug-ins.

I installed a suite of plug-ins as a demo last night. Decided fairly quickly I didn't need them enough to justify the expense. I then figured I could uninstall the plug-ins I just installed easily. No luck. You CAN manually uninstall and Waves gives instructions on doing that, and it also involves deleting some prefs files afterward, but then they tell you that Waves Central will not update and will incorrectly show those plug-ins as still installed... UNLESS....

You must uninstall an entire VERSION of plug-ins, and then re-install them. Which I did. Took some time and I was careful because I still had licenses installed on a USB stick, so when I was ready to install it asked me where I wanted to activate licenses. I wasn't sure it if I let it do that if it wouldn't somehow expend another license in my account or whatever, but I did find the option to just install and not activate (since they were already activated) and it worked.

Still... this is like using a sledge hammer to swat a fly, and if Waves is going to use their proprietary WaveShell system, etc. I really would appreciate it if they would update Waves Central to allow individual plug-ins to be uninstalled instead of all of V14 or all of V13.

My 2 cents.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Re: Complaint about Waves Central...

Post by bayswater »

It's clear to me that Waves is focussing on customers who buy a lot of plugins, maintain a WUP, and only use the latest versions. Supporting others seems a low priority. Not great for many of us but probably a sound financial approach for them.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:16 pm It's clear to me that Waves is focussing on customers who buy a lot of plugins, maintain a WUP, and only use the latest versions. Supporting others seems a low priority. Not great for many of us but probably a sound financial approach for them.
Fair enough. Just seems that if I demo a plug-in of theirs and decide I don't want it, it should not be a major hassle to cleanly uninstall only that plug-in without having to uninstall everything and re-install just because they don't want to build a proper uninstall procedure into Waves Central. :mumble:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I agree entirely, but Waves has been going in this direction for a long time and shows no sign of altering course. I still use Waves Ren Bass as a simple way to get a usable track from a poorly recorded bass, but I won’t be bothering with Waves at all on the next installation. It’s just too much aggravation.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
fusion58

Post by fusion58 »

I've been in "Waves Hell" for the last couple days.

Trying to install two Waves VIs (Grand Rhapsody and Electric 88 pianos) on my new Mac Mini M2 Pro running DP 11.

I successfully deactivated my licenses on my old Mac and activated them using the Waves Central app on the new machine.

I've tried installing, uninstalling and reinstalling both plugins, and DP 11 just does not see them.

I checked, and the plugins are installed in the proper location, but they still don't show in DP's audio plug-ins list.

Re-scanning has availed me nothing.

Not sure if it's an M2 compatibility issue or ???

Just glad I haven't spent any more dough on Waves!
Mac Mini M2 Pro / OS Ventura 13.4.1 / DP 11.22
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I installed and am running Waves' EP plugin on my Mac Studio without issue. In DP, of course.

I have to give Waves some credit for being among the first plugin developers to make Apple Silicon-native versions of all their plugins available.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31