DP 11.21 Crashes when exporting to Wav file from the soundbites window

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Eyango
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 11.21 Crashes when exporting to Wav file from the soundbites window

Post by Eyango »

I tried multiples times, removed any weird character form the soundbite's name, change the destination file, but it crashed everytime.
I was only able to get my wave files by dragging manually the soundbites directly from the soundbites window to the desk of my laptop !
No crash happens when exporting to MP3.
IMPORTANT : this happens only with stereo files.
Any help ?
cuttime

Re: DP 11.21 Crashes when exporting to Wav file from the soundbites window

Post by cuttime »

What version of MacOS are you using? More info please....

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72834
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

As a data point, DP11.21 crashes for me when I try to drag and drop an audio file from the Tracks or Sequence Editor windows to the Desktop. But it does not crash when I drag and drop from the Soundbites window. I and others have reported this to MOTU, who have acknowledged.

I now simply right click the selected soundbite in Tracks or SE and "Export". Works fine for me.

I can drag and drop into DP SE or Tracks window from the desktop without issue.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:10 pm As a data point, DP11.21 crashes for me when I try to drag and drop an audio file from the Tracks or Sequence Editor windows to the Desktop.
"Doctor... it hurts when I do this!"

"Well then don't do that!"

Hahaha... kidding. I know you've already employed a workaround. I'm hopefully that MOTU will give us a DP 11.5 at some point, rather than make us wait for fixes rolled into another new release. NAMM is actually only about 4+ months away since it's going to be in April in 2023 before it gets back on track to the usual January in 2024. I don't even know if MOTU will be there in April. They took a pass on last year, but so did a LOT of companies. It remains to be seen how many companies figured out during the pandemic that they didn't need to spend a fortunate exhibiting at NAMM and if the show will ever regain its former glory. January 2024 is really going to determine that as I suspect many companies are going to take a pass or scale back on NAMM 2023 just like they did with NAMM 2022.

I guess the point of all of that is whether MOTU would be holding back minor bugfix releases for some big rollout to coincide with April NAMM?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Eyango

Post by Eyango »

cuttime wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:01 am What version of MacOS are you using? More info please....

I'm sorry I thought my system info would appear automatically. MacBook M1 Pro with 32Go ram running Ventura 13.0, DP11.21
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Eyango wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:09 am
cuttime wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:01 am What version of MacOS are you using? More info please....

I'm sorry I thought my system info would appear automatically. MacBook M1 Pro with 32Go ram running Ventura 13.0, DP11.21
Actually what many users have found helpful is to edit your user signature by using the User Control Panel and add your system info so it appears automatically in your posts. One caveat: signatures do not appear when using Tapatalk on mobile devices.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Eyango wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:09 am

Maybe you can weigh in over here with any other issues that have cropped up in Ventura...

viewtopic.php?t=72836
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

This started happening here out of the blue. Clearly not a Ventura thing (I’m still on the steam powered version of Mojave).

Dragging a soundbite from the SE or Soundbite window to the desktop has been causing a crash in the last couple of days, although it didn’t happen earlier, albeit with simpler projects, so I’m guessing this bug is related to some types of project content, and not a general thing.

I notice that it is unlikely related to exporting because a) it is happening soon after I start dragging the soundbite and it is not yet established where it is going, and b) the export option using right click works fine.

Has anyone heard back from tech links whether this confirmed or is to be addressed?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Back in April of 2022, Matt at MOTU confirmed he could replicate the issue and would be reporting to tech. Haven't heard anything since then.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31