Happy New Year... here's the "light theme" people were asking for.

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Happy New Year... here's the "light theme" people were asking for.

Post by James Steele »

Well some of you remember the major blowback I got back in September when I decided to use a dark theme for this board. Spent a long time on it... thought it was cool. But it wasn't popular with a lot of folks and got a lot of blowback so gonna go with this for a while.

Yes it does look cleaner. I like it. It's very spartan, but that's in these days so here you go. Happy New Year! :woohoo:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Re: Happy New Year and I'm not changing the theme after this, cool?

Post by cuttime »

Thanks James! I’m totally cool with it! :headbang:
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Happy New Year... here's the "light theme" people were asking for.

Post by labman »

Love it James. Thank you sir.

(It was funny though. the page loaded, and my head actually jerked back thinking something was wrong with mac. I am fine now. :lol: )
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

labman wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:39 am (It was funny though. the page loaded, and my head actually jerked back thinking something was wrong with mac. I am fine now. :lol: )
Same here. I thought someone had been fooling around with my iPad settings.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Thanks for keeping this place running!
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The site looks fantastic.

Just out of curiosity, is there a place where we can choose dark vs light themes? If not, it's totally fine.

Also just curious if other Mac users have a dark mode Safari extension they like.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
richhickey

Post by richhickey »

James Steele wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:32 pm Well some of you remember the major blowback I got back in September when I decided to use a dark theme for this board. Spent a long time on it... thought it was cool. But it wasn't popular with a lot of folks and got a lot of blowback so gonna go with this for a while.

Yes it does look cleaner. I like it. It's very spartan, but that's in these days so here you go. Happy New Year! :woohoo:
Thanks so much James for this lighter theme, and all you do here. Have a great New Year!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:47 am The site looks fantastic.

Just out of curiosity, is there a place where we can choose dark vs light themes? If not, it's totally fine.

Also just curious if other Mac users have a dark mode Safari extension they like.
I could make the previous dark theme available. I'm thinking it over. One problem with that is that if people use the color BBCODE tag in posts or in their signatures, depending on what theme users are using, the text may be unreadable. So I'm deciding if I want consistency in that area. If there were a light AND dark theme available, some text might not be visible depending on what theme you're using.

I remember the saying "You can make some of the people happy all of the time... and all of the people happy some of the time..." You know the rest. If I look at Gearspace, AVID Duc, and other online forums they're not that fancy and this theme puts this site on parity with those pretty much.

I'm honestly leaning to keeping it this way, because at least I won't get hammered over it not being readable or having people say white on black was "insane." (I only arrived at white on black, because other users complained there wasn't *enough* contrast when it was white on dark grey. I then spent hours tweaking that only to upset others.). So it seems that best you can hope for in a forum theme is upsetting the fewest people and taking the "legibility objection" off the table once and for all. :)

I'm inclined to just keep it his way given that low bar. :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I TOTALLY understand. And to be clear, I am quite happy with it the way it is. I think it looks really elegant.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:24 pm I TOTALLY understand. And to be clear, I am quite happy with it the way it is. I think it looks really elegant.
Same here. This is about as clean as it can get.
Some might want to increase the font size in the browser by one level if they find anything difficult to make out.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

This looks great James! Thanks, and Happy New Year!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Killahurts wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:40 pm This looks great James! Thanks, and Happy New Year!
Ditto! :dance:
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Easier to read for me,Thanks
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Good. Also for those who weren't aware and don't like the user avatars over on the right side, there has been a setting for a while now in the User Control Panel under Board Preferences > Edit display options called "Post profile side:" and you can choose left or right.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

As you'd expect James, I find this tough on my eyes 'cause I'm sensitive to glare, but I'm a firm believer in democratically-driven decisions and am therefore happy for all those who're loving the new theme.

Thank you as always for everything you do for us brother. :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here