MOTU 4Pre, Windows and ASIO

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Tony359
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU 4Pre, Windows and ASIO

Post by Tony359 »

Hello all,
My first post here!

I have an old MOTU 4Pre which was part of a sound analysing kit. As I don't use that kit anymore I recycled the 4Pre on my Windows computer. The integrated sound chip is poor and the Motu has brought a much better sound quality.

As a hobby I am a small youtuber. So I am using Premiere Pro and some audio software like Audition or Audacity.

I can "make the 4Pre work" but I feel I am not grasping the basics of this interface and I'd like to understand a bit better.

The first issue I am having is ASIO versus MME. If I understand correctly, ASIO is bypassing Windows sound system and it's the way to take advantage of the interface. Magic. I compiled Audacity for ASIO support and all seems to be working fine.

However, I lost Windows volume control. And for the life of me I cannot find a way to turn the volume down - besides adjusting the main mixer I have between the 4Pre and the speakers. I could do that from Premiere Pro - but then Windows sounds would not be affected.

Second, I am using EqualiserAPO to EQ my speakers and that won't work with ASIO.

So I thought I should do some homework and see if I can learn how to use this interface a bit better and I hope someone here can point me to the right direction.

Some questions that spring to mind:
- I don't really need ASIO, my projects are simple. I need to record in mono from a mike and play in stereo. However, Premiere Pro doesn't seem to be happy with MME as I cannot set an input (the software will show an error message). Audacity also refuses to use the 4Pre with MME. Is there a way to productively use the 4Pre without ASIO?
- If I have to use ASIO, how do I turn the main volume down?

Again, I feel I am doing this wrong so I'm hoping someone here can give me a push.

Thank you all!

Tony
Tony359
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU 4Pre, Windows and ASIO

Post by Tony359 »

I appreciate my question is a bit vague.

Can I at least ask how should the Audio Console be set for the average software (Audacity, Audition, Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve)?

And why Audio Console refuses to open 90% of the time?

The user manual is pretty vague - understandably - as it depends on the use case.

Thank you! :)