The Great ADSR Sounds Screw Up of 2022!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

Ha... figured I'd make a topic over here just for giggles.

For any who missed the drama, ADSR Sounds had a special deal where you could get iZotope Nectar 3 for $12.50. Apparently this was an error. Call me naive, stupid, whatever... but I thought maybe I was just really lucky and this was some kinda major blowout thing and jumped on it. So did a lot of other people apparently.

Anyway... turns out it was a mistake. It was supposed to be $124, not $12.50. So what to do? I thought maybe I just lucked out and got to be one of the few who scored a major deal. The transaction went though. I downloaded and installed the software. The authorization from iZotope is on my iLok. Woohooo... what a deal!!

But not to be. I mean, I guess to be fair, it was a mistake. So I got the following in my email box today. Looks like license will be revoked. They're already processing my "refund." I'll get a link after Christmas to some "sound packs" that I'm almost sure I won't be interested in. And for $12.50 I can buy something called "Drum Machine" with some expansions. Drum Machine. Yeah... super interesting to a guy who does primarily rock and metal. Sigh.

I guess it's only fair, but kinda bummed. I did write back to the guy and said I understand, but had no interest in the other offers and maybe since his company bungled it pretty good, if I were in his place, depending on how many were sold, I'd see if I could negotiate something with iZotope where people could STILL get what they actually WANTED, but with an additional discount. Amazing that a typo could not get discovered and that could go all the way through the process... through the shop... download fulfillment... serial number for iZotope... iLok license delivery... the whole thing. Amazing.

ADSR email.png
ADSR email.png (281.74 KiB) Viewed 2426 times
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Re: The Great ADSR Sounds Screw Up of 2022!

Post by Michael Canavan »

ADSR have a really good free sample manager, but this is pretty lame of them. If you've already gotten a serial, that is now in your iLok account I'm surprised they can pull it. I get that it's a mistake, but the "offer" is a really bad concession. They're entirely capable of offering something more substantial since they have their own libraries, and they should.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

ADSR Defined

Attack: "Wow, what a sale on this plugin!"

Decay: "Wait, do I really need this...?

Sustain: "OK, I guess I'll go thru with it."

Release: "I got a refund."
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

HCMarkus wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:14 am ADSR Defined

:rofl:

I bought Nectar 3 on sale maybe a year ago. I didn't have any bitterness about others getting a way better deal, but did have the thought that they must be "retiring" Nectar 3 soon. What a weird circumstance. Mistakes happen. I can imagine them finding a better "out" but I'm not them.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:ADSR Defined

Bwahahahaha!! Nice one!

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote:If you've already gotten a serial, that is now in your iLok account I'm surprised they can pull it.
Yeah. Not only in my account but on my dongle already. I imagine they could remove it from the cloud, but can iLok manager pull it off my dongle? It’s possible. I suppose if I was really sneaky, I could take my spare dongle and move the Nectar 3 license onto that and unplug it any time I ran iLok Manager. Theoretically, it seems if the dongle where that license resides isn’t connected, any “standing order” to remove the license could never be executed. But probably not worth the trouble. I don’t see myself using Nectar 3 that often anyway.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well, just an update. So far I still have Nectar 3 Plus for $12.50. Every time I run either iLok Manager or iZotope Product Portal, I'm expecting to see it revoked. Again, not sure how you do that when they the license is already issued and on my iLok dongle? It was a legit mistake and I have no ethical argument that I should be allowed to keep it. We'll see what happens.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

So tonight I was issued the unrequested refund at PayPal for $12.50. Be interesting to see how they revoke my license that’s already on my iLok now. What a mess!

As I said before, not saying I’m entitled to Nectar 3 plus for the mistaken price of $12.50, but just as an interesting question, I wonder if acceptance of the refund is consent to surrender the license. I wonder what would happen—or if it’s even possible—to refuse a refund on PayPal?

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

A couple things, like most of lifes big questions, my feelings on this are nuanced. On the one hand a flash sale at that price isn't unusual, their compensation could easily been a tad more respectful, they primarilysell loops, REX files and drum sounds after all. It's all digital content that could be given away to save face in circumstances like this, and some of that would be things like rock drum beats that could be sliced and diced for someones unique needs. So I'm slightly shocked they didn't offer something more.

Then on the other hand they give away for free the most useful for DP sound library content browser in Sample Manager. MOTU for whatever reason is behind the curve in the browser area, both the original audio one, and the more recent Content Browser are horribly crippled when it comes to dealing with Apple Loops and/or Acidiced WAV files. There isn't even a volume control in Content Browser, it's burried in Preferences which is real fun when dealing with auditioning audio to add to a project. It also as you can guess, does not play back at the Conductor Tracks tempo like Apple loops and acid WAV should. ADSR give away a pretty great sample manager that covers all of this. I'm not a big user of these types of things, but recently I have been using them more than before and it's absolutely critical to have a drum beat play back in tempo. ADSR get some props here.

Personally if I were in your shoes I would write them, let them know you appreciate that mistakes can be made, but that it's more than fair to offer up a bit of variety in their offering. They even have a Metal category for sounds and patches etc. For the most part I find that people are pretty chill about it if you ask.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:25 pm Be interesting to see how they revoke my license that’s already on my iLok now.
I’m wondering that too.

Maybe relevant - when I was looking at a free Avid download, I was asked for an iLok ID, as expected, but I was also asked for my iLok password. I cancelled the order and sent a support email to Avid asking why, and got a vague reply about providing customer service. I don’t recall ever being asked for an iLok PW by anyone else.

Providers can add authorizations without your password — I guess we’ll see if they can they remove them too. Presumably, they’d have to go through iLok and have them do it, so perhaps the next time you log into your iLok to add or update an authorization, they’ll remove it?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah... I don't believe I've given my iLok password to either ADSR or iZotope. Again, I don't feel like I have a really strong ethical position to demand I be allowed to keep Nectar 3. I'm more interested in the technology aspect of it. I just launched iZotope Product Portal and still shows that it's licensed and iLok License Manager still shows the license on my dongle. Perhaps only the people who hadn't yet installed the plug and licenses could have it revoked? It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I don't really use Nectar all that much anyway, but snapped it up just because of the price and that I'm a terrible, terrible plug-in... umm... addict. LOL

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well, lo and behold, this email just came in...

ADSR-email-2.gif
ADSR-email-2.gif (131.11 KiB) Viewed 2049 times

You can see this part: "As a final note: Please be reminded that all keys associated with the Nectar 3 order will be voided within the next 7 days." That's interesting. I guess there's a way. As I might have said, earlier, if I felt like just approaching this as some sort of challenge, I'd be tempted to move the Nectar 3 license to a different iLok and physically unplug it any time I ran iLok License Manager and see if that prevents it from being revoked. More as an interesting technology experiment than anything else. Again, not claiming I have an ethical right to keep it.

Not really sure I want the drum machine thing, but whatever.

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

So, I Googled this and apparently a company is not legally obligated to honor advertised pricing if it was an hosest mistake. Bait and switch is treated differently.

However, if I advertise a computer for $23.50 and it should have been $2350.00 my company would suffer significant financial loss if I honored the advertised price. But, there's no real loss in honoring that price for software other than the loss of a few potential purchases at the correct price. Remember that the number of sales they got were probably only due to the low price. Although it was an honest mistake and ADSR has the law on its side, I think it stinks that they are not offering a significantly better compensation to those who (in good faith) bought the product at the advertised price .

If, in fact, ADSR has to pay iZotope for each one of those licenses, they should at least offer an at-cost deal to those customers affected. JMHO.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah... well I'm sure iZotope sells them a certain number of licenses to resell??? I don't know how it works, but I got an email tonight about a crossgrade deal on Nectar 3 Plus for $49 with a coupon code. Deal runs out Jan 10 at 11:59pm PST. I went ahead and got it, so I can still use it legitimately if/when they yank the other license in the coming week. Here's the details I posted in the Plug In Deals topic:
Plug in Boutique has Nectar 3 Plus Crossgrade going on for $49 (for any paid for iZotope or Exponential Audio product. You have to use the coupon code PBiZo2 at checkout. Coupon expires January 10 at 11:59pm PST. You also get a choice of two freebies when you check out.

*Also the deal didn't mention this, but after I purchased it, there was also a serial number for Melodyne Essential included with it.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/7795

I went ahead and did this anticipating that my Nectar 3 Plus license I got when ADSR mistakenly sold it for $12.50 will eventually be revoked. In fact, I installed this new license on my iLok dongle, and then deactivated the one I got from ADSR, so it's sitting on the cloud now and I guess they can get to it easier that way maybe? Dunno.

MrFigg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by MrFigg »

Hej. I joined this forum for the sole purpose of replying to this thread. As above I bought Nectar Plus from ADSR for $12.50. Didn't think there was anything strange with the price as iZotope are known for having plugins on sale for stupid prices. Anyway, got all the emails and offers of compensation same as everyone else. I should add here that I have absolutely no interest in sound packs or drum machines.
Here's the thing...if ADSR had just sent me an email explaining the situation and asked if it'd be fine with me for them to refund the money and take back the license then I more than likely would have happily done so. Being on the other hand that they were going to void my license and that I had no say in the matter annoyed the hell out of me.
Few days ago I saw that 4 sound packs had been deposited in my account. There were however no download links to these files anywhere in my account. I was also told that a refund had been processed. Due to differences in exchange rate I was refunded 130 SEK as opposed to the 137 SEK I paid for the plugin. Not a lot of money but still not a full refund.
The Nectar serial is still showing on my ADSR account as downloadable software. I have Nectar registered to both my PC and iLok and it is still showing on iZotope's website as purchased.
Again, I am not so much bothered about the license itself but I am increasingly more irritated at the way ADSR are handling both themselves and their customers.