MOTU M4 audio dropouts when a camera is connected.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
pixehaz
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU M4 audio dropouts when a camera is connected.

Post by pixehaz »

Greetings, pals!

I wanted to know if any of you had any audio dropouts or crashes with the MOTU M4 when connecting cameras through NDI or Elgato Camera Hub and using the cameras to stream/videocall.

So far I've tried:

• Formatting my OS, and proceeded to install all the latest drivers.(Didn't solve the issue)
• Used older camera drivers, and audio interface drivers. (Didn't solve the issue)
• changing sample size and buffer sizes. (it makes crackling sounds and crashes audio after one second)
• Using different cables and ports. (Didn't solve the issue)

I also tried doing the same in a Macbook Pro 2012 and that works without crashing, but can't use that because that Macbook isn't my main Workstation due to using specific Windows software.

Any similar experience/feedback/tips/solutions appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU M4 audio dropouts when a camera is connected.

Post by HCMarkus »

There have definitely been issues with some camera software that has been discussed here, but it has been a couple of years, and IIRC, the issues concerned DP, not a MOTU Interface. You may wish to search the posts and see if you come up with something. Hope you find the answer!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
pixehaz
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by pixehaz »

HCMarkus wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:02 pm There have definitely been issues with some camera software that has been discussed here, but it has been a couple of years, and IIRC, the issues concerned DP, not a MOTU Interface. You may wish to search the posts and see if you come up with something. Hope you find the answer!
Thanks!

I was able to find that thread, though the solution wasn't able to fix my problem.

I was able to fix my problem by updating my motherboard's BIOS(AORUS ELITE AX V2 (rev 1.0)). Went from F11p to F13, and so far I can use the camera software/NDI without my audio interface audio input/output crashing!

Hope this thread helps someone else with the same problems!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

pixehaz wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:56 amI was able to fix my problem by updating my motherboard's BIOS(AORUS ELITE AX V2 (rev 1.0)). Went from F11p to F13, and so far I can use the camera software/NDI without my audio interface audio input/output crashing!

Hope this thread helps someone else with the same problems!
Glad you shared the solution. Nothing at all against Windows machines, but that sort of thing makes my head spin. I have a hard enough time making sure everything is going smoothly on my Mac without worrying about motherboard BIOSes!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!