Startup Strangeness

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Startup Strangeness

Post by Rick Cornish »

This morning, when I started up my late-2011 MacPro (Monterey) the startup chime sounded and then repeated continuously. I only got it to stop by unplugging the power cable from the back. After I plugged it back in, it restarted just fine.

It has been taking longer to boot up since I installed a new blade and migrated to Monterey, but I assumed that to be normal because of doubling the internal memory.

I've never experienced this before on any Mac I've owned in the 35 years I've been using them. Anything to be concerned about?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Re: Startup Strangeness

Post by mikehalloran »

Hardware? How old is that CR2032 battery? It’s a good idea to change every 5 years. Apple uses a BR2032 (available on Amazon) but if you’ve replaced the HHDs with cooler SSDs, there’s no need for the high-heat version. How long has it been since you’ve cleared the dust from the CPU cooling fins?

If it shut down unexpectedly for any reason, the following could be affected: Reset the NV RAM, Do a Safe Boot. Reset the SMC. Reset the Launch Services. Reaffirm the correct drive as the Startup in System Preferences.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks, as always, Mike!
mikehalloran wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:16 am Hardware? How old is that CR2032 battery? It’s a good idea to change every 5 years.
Hmmm.... Didn't know there was a CR2032 in my Mac Pro. Are you referring to the CMOS battery? I read the PRAM is powered from a capacitor in the late-2011 Mac Pro. If it's the CMOS battery, I just took a look at the instructions at iFixit.com and the tear-down has 31 steps! Not sure I'd be up for that.
mikehalloran wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:16 am How long has it been since you’ve cleared the dust from the CPU cooling fins?
Good call… I cleaned it thoroughly when I swapped-in the new blade.

Oh—and my machine is a late-2013 Mac Pro (trashcan).
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Huh?

A 2011 Mac Pro battery takes a few minutes—if that.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/12 ... ac+pro+3.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hey Mike.... I think I misled you… my Mac Pro is a late-2013 (trashcan).
Rick Cornish

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Rick Cornish wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:19 pm Hey Mike.... I think I misled you… my Mac Pro is a late-2013 (trashcan).
Yes, the 6.1 does take quite a few steps but the first 11 are just removing the fan. The key is patience and you do need a few Torx drivers. I see that I commented on this 3 years ago.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Pro+L ... ment/21216

This kit has all of the drivers, tweezers and a spudger
https://smile.amazon.com/Kingsdun-Scre ... ref=sr_1_7

Because of the heat, a 6.1 one should have the BR2032. Not available at the corner drug store but readily available at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BR203 ... ref=sr_1_4

You’ve already exhibited one of the symptoms. As the battery gets worse, there are others including the the GPU acting up. Lots of diagnostic dollars get spent needlessly when the batteries age. There are techs who can get this done in less than an hour — being one-handed, it takes me a little over two.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I wouldn't worry about the number of steps. But watch the videos and make sure you know just what is going to happen as you do each step. Some of the videos and still shots are not entirely clear at first glance.

I made the mistake of not being entirely clear on just one step when I added ram to the 2018 Mini, and disconnected the light that tells you the Mac is running. It doesn't affect anything important but it would be nice to have that light.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Indeed.

This battery isn’t that hard (40 min to 2 hours) but studying the steps and any videos (I’ve not found one but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist) will tell you if you want to tackle this or not. If not, there are techs and shops that will.

Example:
My 5 year old iPad Pro gets less 5 hours between charges less than half what it did new. Apple checked it out, giving it a clean bill of health but won’t replace the battery ($99) because the battery health is over 80%. Damn. Local shops are quoting $180 part & labor so... I checked and I can pick up a new battery for $50, ok. Then I watched a couple videos where step 1 is baking it to soften the glues and the final is baking again to set the new glues and lots of steps in between requiring two hands and special clamps... Yikes! I’ve concluded that $180 is a bargain and will drop my iPad off tomorrow so I can get it back on Wednesday.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:36 pm
Rick Cornish wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:19 pm Hey Mike.... I think I misled you… my Mac Pro is a late-2013 (trashcan).
Yes, the 6.1 does take quite a few steps but the first 11 are just removing the fan. The key is patience and you do need a few Torx drivers. I see that I commented on this 3 years ago.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Pro+L ... ment/21216

This kit has all of the drivers, tweezers and a spudger
https://smile.amazon.com/Kingsdun-Scre ... ref=sr_1_7

Because of the heat, a 6.1 one should have the BR2032. Not available at the corner drug store but readily available at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BR203 ... ref=sr_1_4

You’ve already exhibited one of the symptoms. As the battery gets worse, there are others including the the GPU acting up. Lots of diagnostic dollars get spent needlessly when the batteries age. There are techs who can get this done in less than an hour — being one-handed, it takes me a little over two.
Thanks, Mike. You've encouraged me to take a closer look at this and maybe give it a try. I think I might already have all the tools, left behind by my IT guy at my production company that I closed in 2013.

BTW: Any special instructions on restart? Reset SMC, zap NVRAM, etc.?
The iFixit guide doesn't say.

Thanks (as always) for sharing your experience and words of wisdom.
Last edited by Rick Cornish on Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Cornish

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

bayswater wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:53 pm I wouldn't worry about the number of steps. But watch the videos and make sure you know just what is going to happen as you do each step. Some of the videos and still shots are not entirely clear at first glance.

I made the mistake of not being entirely clear on just one step when I added ram to the 2018 Mini, and disconnected the light that tells you the Mac is running. It doesn't affect anything important but it would be nice to have that light.
Thanks for the advice, Bayswater. I feel ya'. This is quite a heavy tear-down, but I think I'm up for it.The iFixit instructions seem very clear and the photos are good.
Rick Cornish

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

OK… did the tear-down today. Taking my time, it seemed easy enough… until it was time to remove a little ribbon connector from the I/O board and the socket popped right off the board with the connector.
:shake:

Briefly considered super-gluing the socket to the board, then found a replacement I/O board on eBay. Hopefully they'll ship today.

Arghhh.... :arrrr:
Rick Cornish

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote:OK… did the tear-down today. Taking my time, it seemed easy enough… until it was time to remove a little ribbon connector from the I/O board and the socket popped right off the board with the connector.
:shake:

Briefly considered super-gluing the socket to the board, then found a replacement I/O board on eBay. Hopefully they'll ship today.

Oh man, I’m sorry Rick. That’s a bummer. If that had happened to me, I’d have made a few utterances that would make hardened criminals blush!! Glad you found a board!

BTW, thanks again for your Beyond Black theme… I enjoy using it so much. I tend to sort of alternate between it (in the evening) and a lighter one during daytime. But it’s great. Thanks!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

James Steele wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:03 pm BTW, thanks again for your Beyond Black theme… I enjoy using it so much. I tend to sort of alternate between it (in the evening) and a lighter one during daytime. But it’s great. Thanks!
Hey man, glad it's working for ya'. Until I wrecked my Mac Pro today, I've been using it daily as I get started on my album. --Beyond Black all the way-- :headbang:
Rick Cornish

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Rick Cornish wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:54 am OK… did the tear-down today. Taking my time, it seemed easy enough… until it was time to remove a little ribbon connector from the I/O board and the socket popped right off the board with the connector.
Arghhh indeed. That’s what I did. Except all it did was disconnect the LED that tells you the computer is powered up, so I just live with it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

bayswater wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:02 pm That’s what I did. Except all it did was disconnect the LED that tells you the computer is powered up, so I just live with it.
Yep… wish I would've been that "lucky," but you can't fake it without a good connection to the power supply data cable. The good news is, the new board is coming tomorrow and confirmed to be the right one for my machine, so hopefully by this time tomorrow, I'll be back up. 🤞🏻
Rick Cornish