Solo Monitoring During Tracking While Preserving a Two Track Reference

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
GambitPGH
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Solo Monitoring During Tracking While Preserving a Two Track Reference

Post by GambitPGH »

Ok, this is a weird one to wrap my brain around and no matter how I search, I've come up with similar situations, but not the same.

Recently switched to a Presonus Quantum 4848 after having a Tascam DM-4800 for forever and an Allen and Heath board for a short while. Now running multi-track sessions without a board for the first time.

Recording mostly jazz, so the sessions run more like old school sessions where I treat each file as tape and track initial projects all in to one file, come up with a reference mix and then split the file into separate songs to edit, mix and whatnot once I have a template. I like to run a live mix to a stereo bus so I can send mp3s at the end of the day without bouncing each individual take, because there are often days where we'll reach absurd numbers of takes.

With a board, I would just record the live outs of the console and could solo in place without disturbing the two track mix that was being recorded. Now when I solo, it affects the internal mix I depend on for reference. Is there any way to route a mix entirely in the box (without trying to mix with the tiny aux send knobs) to record a live stereo reference mix and still be able to solo individual tracks? I found one workaround that kinda did the trick for this last session. But I'd like to maintain a simple workflow for tracking so I can focus on sound instead of tech.

Thanks in advance for any brainstorming anyone came come up with!