Where to get repairs done?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
revjamie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Where to get repairs done?

Post by revjamie »

Welp when it rains it pours.
For the last few weeks after about 20 minutes my 16A would stop playing audio from my mac. I always thought this was a driver issue or something. I had this issue over USB and thunderbolt. So I would power cycle the unit and it would be fine. The other day after cycling the power it won't complete the boot sequence. It just reboots itself over and over and over and never finishes booting. So it's totally unusable. Been like this for over a week now. I've unplugged all the cables thinking maybe it was a connection issue with the computer or something, but that's not it. Even when it's just the power cable plugged in it does this.

Next my 24Ai as decided to •••• the bed as well. When I flip on the power switch.. nothing. Just a black screen. I swapped out the power cable with a known good cable and no dice. It's been like this for days and days. Today I flipped the power switch on and eventually it powered up.

I'd like to get these repaired if I can. But I know MOTU doesn't do the $100 repair thing anymore. Anyone know how to get these fixed?
nk_e
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Where to get repairs done?

Post by nk_e »

Hey.

Following.

FWIW: Had a very similar thing happen with my 16a and 1248. Each was less than 4 years old. My 16a acted just like yours it seems.

MOTU wouldn’t touch them so I found a local synth repair shop.

The 16a had a couple of bad capacitors and could be repaired. The 1248 was a total loss. It too looked like it might have had a bad capacitor or a power issue, but at the end of the day, their best guess was that one of the VSLIs (not sure that’s the right term…MOTU uses large integrated chips in their latest interfaces) may have gone bad and those are not parts that MOTU makes available. Replacing them may not even be possible as the whole board may have to be replaced. (My speculation only.)

Really kind of burns my butt that MOTU doesn’t provide service anymore. These units are not old. If there is someplace I can ship it too, I’d love to know myself.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com