"The Last Unicorn"

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

"The Last Unicorn"

Post by James Steele »

So today, the UPS truck pulled up in front of my house. Not longer after, my trusty old friend... my MTP/AV USB... the LAST piece of gear in my studio that bore the bearing the old school "Mark of the Unicorn" logo, complete with unicorn silhouette was quietly retied with little fanfare. I will miss that unicorn. I always thought that original logo was cool, and really wasn't all that happy with the re-branding when it originally happened. MOTU. It is an acronym. Let us never forget! Thank you for your many years of service, MTP/AV!

lastunicorn.jpg
lastunicorn.jpg (226.18 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
monkey man

Re: "The Last Unicorn"

Post by monkey man »

Exactly how I've felt all along Brother James.

"MOTU" means nothing to most peeps 'cause they're not aware of the history.

The logo at least provided a clue as to the full name, and what a beauty it is! Unique. Memorable. A marketing dream IMHO.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

RIP :unicorn:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Mine still sits in a rack but it won’t for much longer. If my daughter wants my MIDI modules, she’s welcome to them but if not, there’s eBay.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:Mine still sits in a rack but it won’t for much longer. If my daughter wants my MIDI modules, she’s welcome to them but if not, there’s eBay.
Right. Well, I still have a soft spot for my MKS-30 and my Ensoniq EPS-16+ rack module. There’s some cool sounds between them, especially the latter that Chicken Systems Translator was never quite able to translate.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I used to own the Timepiece until I no longer had a strong need for its functionality. Nothing ever really came along with a similar feature set, from any vendor. I always loved that faceplate, and especially the original logo/icon!
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've made this joke in the long-ago past, but what MARK would a unicorn make on you were you to engage in a fight? --> *

It's especially painful as the horn is all spirally.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:39 pm So today, the UPS truck pulled up in front of my house. Not longer after, my trusty old friend... my MTP/AV USB... the LAST piece of gear in my studio that bore the bearing the old school "Mark of the Unicorn" logo, complete with unicorn silhouette was quietly retied with little fanfare. I will miss that unicorn. I always thought that original logo was cool, and really wasn't all that happy with the re-branding when it originally happened. MOTU. It is an acronym. Let us never forget! Thank you for your many years of service, MTP/AV!

lastunicorn.jpg
Curious, why the change? So far the MTP/AV is working with the M1 Air Monterey here. There are reports that for some reason the Studio model has more issues than the original M1's, is that it or are you preemptively striking?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

"The Last Unicorn"

Post by James Steele »

Well main reason was that my MTP/AV was sending a small sysex message every second back to my Mac Studio which I couldn’t figure out how to stop. It would “pollute” bulk dumps that I recorded.

So I got the MIDI Express XT and turns out it does it too. Anytime DP or other DAW app is running it starts sending those messages spaced a little less than one sec apart. So I just have to remember to quit DP before using Sysex Librarian.

I don’t regret it though. The screen on the MTP/AV was getting hard to read and the knobs were messed up making it difficult to navigate the menus. So I felt I might as well go all out and get it to go along with my 828es and 24Ai.

ronjams

Post by ronjams »

There are filters in clockworks that should be able to filter out this sys-ex info either on the inputs or outputs of you MIDI devices that should fix your problem
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I thought that was a badass unicorn. Not a "My Little PonyCorn".
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

"The Last Unicorn"

Post by James Steele »

ronjams wrote:There are filters in clockworks that should be able to filter out this sys-ex info either on the inputs or outputs of you MIDI devices that should fix your problem
It doesn’t. It’s being sent from the interface itself directly to the Mac over USB. It is not coming in on any MIDI cables that would allow it to be muted with Clockworks.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Clockworks mutes at-source James.

It's literally a deep-dive interface for the unit, negating the need for a complicated nested-menu layout and navigation on the hardware.

Unless I'm mistaken...

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

OK, I see that you're using USB and I said that based on my use of MIDI cables with the unit.

If it doesn't work the same way, that's an unfortunate "oversight" by MOTU IMHO.

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

There's a way to kill it on the hardware MTP/AV unit. The SysEx message sent here is always the sync message.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.