DP, Rosetta, Falcon, iLok

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP, Rosetta, Falcon, iLok

Post by gavspen »

I dont know where to post this really, but James will move it if necessary I assume.

Is anyone using DP with Falcon, iLok and Apple M1? Let me just ask that first before I start type a lot of useless/irrelevant information.

Thanks
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
bkshepard

Re: DP, Rosetta, Falcon, iLok

Post by bkshepard »

Yes
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The only tricky part is accessing older, non-Native libraries in Falcon such as the ones that came with MachFive. A bunch of recent threads on this with workarounds.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:23 pm The only tricky part is accessing older, non-Native libraries in Falcon such as the ones that came with MachFive. A bunch of recent threads on this with workarounds.
Workaround that I use is to use Falcon for the newer libraries, and get a copy of UVI Workstation 3.0.25 or earlier and install that and use it to access the older libraries Mike mentioned (without having to run DP in Rosetta).
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Hi All,

Ok, others are in similar boats, I see.

If I run DP under Rosetta, I can access all the old UVI stuff that came with Mach 5, using Falcon, and all the .ufs files are visible (in Falcon) in the column 2nd from the left, under "Soundbanks".

However, if I open DP without Rosetta, all the old Mach 5 .ufs files have gone missing from "Soundbanks", and if I navigate to one of them using the Falcon browser and try to open it, I get this error message:

"No license was found for........../F Grand 278.ufs"

I would have thought this is an iLok problem (since the fact that I can open them under Rosetta certainly suggests I do have the licenses, they're just not being seen), so I contacted them and got this answer:

Hello,

Thank you for the information. The screenshot shows that you were running the protected software and had the issue at 5:40 pm The verbose logs show that there are no license checks being requested from the protected software at this time. When you have no issues with the protected software at 5:41 pm, the verbose logs show the licenses checks again.

There is no issue with our services. The issue most likely is with the protected software since it is not actually making license requests from our services. I would recommend reinstalling the iLok protected software. If this does not help, you should contact UVI for further help to see if they have more information on their plugin requirements.

Ok, I kind of get what he's saying, but the error message seems to say that a license check was requested, but the license wasnt found, doesnt it? iLok says get in touch with UVI, but I think I did, ages ago when I first got Falcon, and they said, of course, "Go ask iLok". (I emailed UVI yesterday as well, but havent heard back yet.)

What's going on? Who's at fault here? iLok say UVI, UVI say iLok. Typical. To add the the strangeness, when I look at my iLok account, it would seem that each .ufs file needs its own license, and the only ones I see there are for the .ufs files that I can access when not running Rosetta. In other words, there are no individual licenses for the .ufs files that came with Mach 5, only for the newer stuff, so how am I able to open them at all? I'm totally confused.

I see James says he uses an old version of Workstation to get around having to run Rosetta, but my Workstation is a newer version and exhibits the same behavior as Falcon. And all of this behavior is the same when I run Falcon (or Workstation) stand alone as well. (I havent plumbed the depths of MOTUnation looking for other workarounds, which Mike says are there. Yet.)

Why do I care? It's just inelegant to have to run Rosetta for this one thing. Nothing else I use, music software or any other software, needs it, and I like to run as few layers as possible, less to go wrong, and (silly I know) DP opens much slower under Rosetta. Kind of annoying.

Thoughts, gentlemen?
Gavin
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

There are actually lots of threads on this if you do some judicious searching. It's been covered ad nauseum. At this point, pointing fingers for blame isn't going to really change things. From what I understand, the older UFS files would need to be recompiled or something with newer code provided by PACE that will work with Apple Silicon. You have to keep in mind those libraries were released, what? Fifteen years ago or so?

Anyway... at the risk of having UVI upset with me, I will follow up soon with a link to the 3.0.25 installer. It was free software anyway and UVI sent it to me upon request. I'm hoping that in order to solve a problem for DP users and avoid being flooded with individual requests, they won't be to upset with me. So check back and I will post the link in this post just below within 10-15 minutes or so.

Things to remember with this workaround:

1) First, uninstall the latest version of UVIWorkstation. You can do that from within UVI Portal.

2) Then download and install the UVIWorkstation 3.0.25 installer. If you own Falcon, you can stop there. Use Falcon for general use and use UVIWorkstation 3.0.25 just for accessing those problem .ufs images.

3) If you do NOT have Falcon, you can still use UVI Workstation 3.0.25 for the newer stuff, but if you want to get fancy, I think there's a way you can just *download* the latest UVIWorkstation installer, and then custom install ONLY THE VST3. When you re-launch DP, you can enable both the older AU *and* the newer VST3. DP will then see TWO UVIWorkstation plugs in the menu. One will be the old version, one will be the new VST3. You can then mix and match, using the newer version that runs native most of the time and then only use the older one, again, for the "problem" .ufs images. They will always appear in the same order in the menu, so it's up to you to remember which is which. There's no way to rename them or edit the plugs so they have different names in the menu. I tried and even enlisted the help of a programmer and it can't be done.

Here (will be) the UVIWorkstation 3.0.25 Installer:

https://motunation.com/files/uviworksta ... 25.dmg.zip

NOTICE:
I do not anticipate ANY issues from doing this, but in the litigious *blaming* culture we live in today, I have to issue the disclaimer that I am in no way responsible for any issues any one may have by installing this software.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Thanks James, I didnt mean to make you do all that typing. Haha.

Understood, if there is no completely "elegant" solution, the blame game is pointless, but the weird thing is, they DO work with Apple Silicon, under Rosetta. And the newer code obviously already exists. Huh? Wot? Whateffer. I'll never understand this stuff.

I guess for me then, it's simpler just to keep on the way I am rather than have Falcon open for this, Workstation for that, twice as many window to look at, etc. and so forth, plus, as you point out, uninstalling and reinstalling can itself be fraught with pitfalls.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

gavspen wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:53 pmI guess for me then, it's simpler just to keep on the way I am rather than have Falcon open for this, Workstation for that, twice as many window to look at, etc. and so forth, plus, as you point out, uninstalling and reinstalling can itself be fraught with pitfalls.
Suit yourself. It's working here. Gosh... i got so exhausted thinking about looking at twice as many windows. :)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:19 pm I will follow up soon with a link to the 3.0.25 installer. …
Thanks for the link. Though I found an older build of the workstation in Time Machine, I do not have the installer.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:
James Steele wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:19 pm I will follow up soon with a link to the 3.0.25 installer. …
Thanks for the link. Though I found an older build of the workstation in Time Machine, I do not have the installer.
Yeah, this is the one you definitely want because it was the last version before they included the Apple Silicon native code. So it has all the bug fixes and optimizations up to that point.

nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Thank you James. Not really an issue here yet since I am all intel, but I will bank this away for future use!

Once Apple removes support for Rosetta, I guess it becomes moot. Though there seems to be so little penalty associated with running Rosetta, maybe they will keep it around a long time…?

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

gavspen

Post by gavspen »

James Steele wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:09 pm
gavspen wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:53 pmI guess for me then, it's simpler just to keep on the way I am rather than have Falcon open for this, Workstation for that, twice as many window to look at, etc. and so forth, plus, as you point out, uninstalling and reinstalling can itself be fraught with pitfalls.
Suit yourself. It's working here. Gosh... i got so exhausted thinking about looking at twice as many windows. :)
Haha. Well, it's about having enough screen space, obviously All those pesky little windows getting lost behind all those pesky little other ones. :D I could use about 4 more screens as it is!