828mk3 hybrid EQ does not working via USB

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
MediaPower
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828mk3 hybrid EQ does not working via USB

Post by MediaPower »

Hello

After some time, I reactivated my Motu 828. Unfortunately, I have neither manual nor CD etc. I am now trying to get this external sound card to work.

I have a Motu 828mk3 hybrid device. So, a device with firewire and USB2 ports. I have my notebook with WIN11 Pro connected via the USB2 port. I use the latest drivers from Motu (https://motu.com/en-us/download/) and so I also get the sound from the PC via USB to the 828mk3 hybrid and from there via the main to the active speakers.
In the PC I use MOTU Analog 1-2 (Motu Auido Wave for 64 bit) in stereo.

The following problem appears: I can press and do as I want, the settings in the Motu software (Cuemix ?) on the PC have no influence on the sound on the main! Whether I set the equalizer in the Analog 1-2 or not, the sound is the same. Even if I adjust the equalizer on the Main 1-2, this has no influence on the sound.
Whether I turn on the different frequency ranges on the right side or not, the display visually tells me the frequency is affected, but the sound remains the same.
What am I doing wrong? Why do the settings in the software have no influence on the sound? Is it because I am feeding the sound via USB?

Just to check, if I switch Analog 1-2 from stereo to mono in the software, I can see on the unit display how that tracks. So there is a working connection there. In addition, the sound also comes through.

The menu item under "Control Surfaces" the "Application Follows Control Surface" ist enabled. But even if the "Application Follows Control Surface" setting is disabled, this does not affect the behavior of the sound...

Thanks for a hint!
Motu 828mk3 hybrid
MediaPower

Re: 828mk3 hybrid EQ does not working via USB

Post by MediaPower »

Hello

Was my question too confused?

If I select MOTU Analog 1-2 as output in the PC sound menu, shouldn't the sound also arrive on Analog 1-2 in the MOTU device? But I see no signal on the input LED, only the Analog Output 1-2 LED flickering. But how do I get this signal to the Main 1-2?

Do I have a fundamentally wrong thought process?

I would be very, very grateful for any help.

MediaPower
Motu 828mk3 hybrid
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

You can program these through the front panel but more functionality is available via your PC and Mac/PC are a bit different in this regard.

Don’t worry about missing CD or manual. You can download or view the Windows manual the same place you found the drivers. Searchable pdf files are more efficient than the paper version when looking to solve a problem.

If searching tha manual doesn’t immediately ID the problem, it’s a good idea to reset to factory default and start from scratch.
828x / 828mk3 Hybrid / 828mk3 FW: Press the Param/Setup knob until the LCD screen reads "828X SETUP" (or equivalent). The LCD screen will quickly flash to "LCD CONTRAST". Turn the Param/Setup knob all the way to the right. The LCD screen will read: "Factory Defaults Press [Value]". Push the Value knob. The LCD screen will display "Are you sure? Push [VALUE]". Push the Value knob again to confirm. The LCD screen will read: "Initializing...". The clock LED will flash when reset is complete.
I am guessing that you bought this used. I recommend creating a User Account and registering the unit at MOTU.com. This way you can ask questions of Support and have access to additional downloads if you want such as Performer Lite. If you are unable to register yours, it will be because the previous owner did and has not removed if from his/her user account.

It sounds like yours is working. If the above doesn’t get you there, we will need additional info OS, DAW what you have and have not tried etc. You can post screen shots here if needed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MediaPower

Post by MediaPower »

Thank you very much!

I will now first try to register the device with MOTU. Gladly I will get back to you.

I just hope that the 828mk3 also runs with USB 3.1. Because USB 2.0 I have no more on the PC! In addition, I still have two Thunderbolt™ 4 with USB4™ Type-C®.
Motu 828mk3 hybrid
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Yours supports "Fast USB 2" and Firewire. "Fast USB 2" has much lower RTL (Round Trip Latency).

Generally, USB 3 and up are backwards compatible with USB 2. This is not always the case since USB 2 is a separate protocol. Sometimes, cheap components or cables will not separate USB 2 from 3 and higher like they should. In any case, this was a common issue 10 years ago and rarely seen now. If there's any doubt, use a regular USB 2 cable—if it works, you're good. There is no benefit to using anything higher.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MediaPower

Post by MediaPower »

Hello

Well MOTU has responded to my needs with the following solutions to the problem:
1) To achieve what I wanted to do, I would have to work with physical wiring. So route the input by cable to an output. Then set the desired settings in the software.

2) The better way is to use another software like Voicemeeter Banana.

3) Alternative would be to consider another device such as UltraLite-mk5.

I decided to try Voicemeeter Banana to save the investment in the 828mk3. I hope to cover my needs with it.

Have a nice day
MediaPower
Motu 828mk3 hybrid
MediaPower

Post by MediaPower »

I just wanted to add briefly. I have now picked up the Voicemeeter Potato. It fulfills all my wishes and works great. It now also lets me use the 828mk3h as I want.
This just short feedback.
Motu 828mk3 hybrid