8pre USB Unresponsive Front Panel Controls

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
louderthanu
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

8pre USB Unresponsive Front Panel Controls

Post by louderthanu »

I just purchaced a 8pre USB from ebay. The device seeems to work connected to the computer (ie. I get audio in and out), but the front panel controls like the pad/phantom buttons, individual gains and the main/headphone volume have no function. The meters show no input levels.

With CueFX, I can turn on/off phantom/pad, adjust input gains/output levels... but the device doesn't show anything I'm doing.

I have tried the factory reset (disconnect, hold volume knob down 5 sec) and that doesn't work.

Its like the hardware's controls are disabled though some setting I can't find.

Any ideas? Did I get ripped off?

Thanks in advance!
Kevin Howell
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 8pre USB Unresponsive Front Panel Controls

Post by mikehalloran »

The Factory reset is the same for the FW and USB versions. Your description is not complete:
8Pre: Disconnect unit from computer. Hold in the Volume knob in for 5 seconds. You should first see the clock light blink, then the first LED for Analog input 1 or 2, then you will see a "D?". Turn the Volume knob to the right until the LED display reads "OK". Unit is reset.
Unlike the FW, the 8pre USB is a current offering from MOTU. Hardware warranty runs out 2 years after original purchase and if you bought it used, they may or may not do anything for you.

If you can return it, do so. New is $549 everywhere.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you can't return it, open it up and look for any obvious damage or loose wires—sometimes you get lucky and something became disconnected during shipping. Check the circuit boards for cracks. If none found, check all ribbon cable connectors. Burnish each by unplugging and re-plugging three times.

See what happens.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
louderthanu
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by louderthanu »

Hey Mike! I took apart the 8pre USB and saw no obvious damage to the cards (thanfully!) . Per your suggestion I reset both ends of the ribbon connector... three times and lo and behold... the front panel controls started responding. I was also able to do the factory reset.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Kevin Howell
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

louderthanu wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:10 am Hey Mike! I took apart the 8pre USB and saw no obvious damage to the cards (thanfully!) . Per your suggestion I reset both ends of the ribbon connector... three times and lo and behold... the front panel controls started responding. I was also able to do the factory reset.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Kevin Howell
You’re welcome. Glad that worked. The internal voltages are so low that the least bit of resistance due to the tiniest bit of corrosion can cause gear to stop working. Burnishing the connectors breaks this up and restores connectivity.

I have no idea how many pieces of “dead” equipment I’ve brought back to life over the years doing this. If it happens again, buy a can of DeOxIt spray and give the ends a short burst during the process but often, burnishing the connectors once is enough.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0 ... asin_title