Considering MOTU 16a

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
JES
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Considering MOTU 16a

Post by JES »

Greetings.

I'm considering a MOTU 16a but I want to know if it will work for my use case. I want it for two purposes:

1. To connect to an iPad (no Mac) running AUM for 16 channels of input from hardware instruments. I understand that it's class compliant, so it should just show up in AUM, right?
2. I am not even sure if this is possible, but can it also run as a standalone mixer, where if I set up a preset and turn it on, I don't even need to connect it to the iPad in order to have sound routed from the inputs to the outputs?

Thank you.
scstock
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Considering MOTU 16a

Post by scstock »

JES wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:47 am
2. I am not even sure if this is possible, but can it also run as a standalone mixer, where if I set up a preset and turn it on, I don't even need to connect it to the iPad in order to have sound routed from the inputs to the outputs?
Absolutely yes.
UK Distributor for MOTU
JES

Post by JES »

Thanks. But now it looks like it's out of stock everywhere. Guess I'll go back to programming my 828 as a convertor for now. Sigh.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

JES wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:15 pm Thanks. But now it looks like it's out of stock everywhere. Guess I'll go back to programming my 828 as a convertor for now. Sigh.
I don't know if it's still the remnants of the supply chain issue with parts, chips, etc... but that seems to be a problem sometimes. I had a difficult time getting my hands on my 828es. Hopefully the situation will improve.

FYI... it looks like there's one available through Amazon right now. It tells me I could get it by the 19th. That's not that fast, but there's no disclaimer that it's out of stock that I can see:

https://a.co/d/0kMtCkt
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
JES

Post by JES »

Bumping this old thread. They're still unavailable but I'm still considering it or whether to give up and get an Ultralite mk5. Fewer inputs but actually exists.

If I'm using it with an iPad (no Mac), is there software to control it on the iPad, or a web app like for the Ultralite mk5?

And could it handle 24 inputs if I come in over ADAT as well as analog?

Thanks.