Used motu 8pre doesn't seem to have enough gain?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
mrgnlit
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Used motu 8pre doesn't seem to have enough gain?

Post by mrgnlit »

Hello I recently purchased a used 8 pre firewire interface and something I'm noticing is it doesn't seem to be able to provide enough gain? The cable I'm using is fine and I'm using a line audio CM4 which shouldn't require a super high amount of gain but I find myself turning the knob to 75% or more just to get peaks at -18.

I am recording cello in a small room about 3 ft away and I feel like this is too much. Am I crazy or if something wrong with the unit?
mikehalloran

Re: Used motu 8pre doesn't seem to have enough gain?

Post by mikehalloran »

First, reset the unit to its factory default settings:
8Pre: Disconnect unit from computer. Hold in the Volume knob in for 5 seconds. You should first see the clock light blink, then the first LED for Analog input 1 or 2, then you will see a "D?". Turn the Volume knob to the right until the LED display reads "OK". Unit is reset.
The 8pre has only 40dB Input gain. Make sure that the -20dB Pad switch is in the Up position (disengaged). Otherwise, here's the manual.

https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firew ... de_Mac.pdf

Are you using external of bus power? Many FW ports do not supply adequate bus power and devices work better powered externally.

All this assumes that an old 8pre is in tip-top condition.
I'm using a line audio CM4
I have no idea if that's a good match. The 8pre does supply 48V phantom power required by this mic. When it says 12–48V, 48V recommended, assume that they mean it,

http://www.lineaudio.se/CM4.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

CM4’s are relatively low output, this sounds as I’d expect.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

EMRR wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:58 am CM4’s are relatively low output, this sounds as I’d expect.
Does anyone have recommendations for a “straight wire only louder” mic pre? I use CloudLifters on my ribbons and SM7 etc. but I’ve decided it’s time I did something for a few of my low output condensers on remote jobs.

For years, I’ve used the direct outs on a Mackie 1402 or 1604 and they work well but that’s more desk space and weight than I like.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:43 am
EMRR wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:58 am CM4’s are relatively low output, this sounds as I’d expect.
Does anyone have recommendations for a “straight wire only louder” mic pre? I use CloudLifters on my ribbons and SM7 etc. but I’ve decided it’s time I did something for a few of my low output condensers on remote jobs.

For years, I’ve used the direct outs on a Mackie 1402 or 1604 and they work well but that’s more desk space and weight than I like.
Someone has a similar inline booster that passes phantom, maybe Triton? Plenty of multi-channel pre's with more gain in that same range per channel as buying Cloudlifters/etc. I tend to like something with the 'free' gain of step-up input transformers, but that gets more expensive. Something like the 8 channel Yamaha MLA8 that's older/used is good bang for buck when they show up. Lots of similar things out there.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

EMRR wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:11 am
mikehalloran wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:43 am

Someone has a similar inline booster that passes phantom, maybe Triton? Plenty of multi-channel pre's with more gain in that same range per channel as buying Cloudlifters/etc. I tend to like something with the 'free' gain of step-up input transformers, but that gets more expensive. Something like the 8 channel Yamaha MLA8 that's older/used is good bang for buck when they show up. Lots of similar things out there.
All great options.

I had no idea that phantom powered boosters existed for powered mics. I’m definitely going to try one of these Tritons and if it works out, get three more. Thanks for the heads up!
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detai ... one-preamp

Should also work for the OP.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Update: I found a used Triton Audio FetHead Broadcast at a good price and it's on the way.

To the OP: I recommend trying one out since it works in-line with the 8pre's mic preamps and passes phantom power to get a claimed +23dB gain and headroom. Neat trick if it sounds great and less clutter for my remote and desktop rigs.

Unlike many other interfaces, the MOTU 8pre does not have separate Line Inputs desirable for working with most outboard preamps. Although you can normally cascade mic pres into other mic pres, I've rarely obtained satisfactory results.

There are inexpensive ($229–$799) 8 channel preamps that will connect to an 8pre via ADAT optical.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search ... mic+preamp

All of my interfaces have Line Ins (from 2–12, depending) so I can go there if I want but I am very much into light weight and less clutter. It will be interesting to see if this Triton booster does what I need—if not, there are plenty of other options.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Triton makes another phantom powered inline booster for condenser mics, the FetHead Phantom. Right now, $70 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/TRITON-FetHead- ... VTUFLLSD1W

Comparing the two, the FetHead Broadcast has a 23bB boost vs 18db for the FetHead Phantom. The Phantom can work with interfaces supplying 24–48V while the Broadcast requires 48V. The Phantom has a wider frequency response as well.

I have one of each coming. Assuming they perform as advertised, I’ll likely keep both and buy more but which ones, I don’t know. Here is TritonAudio’s site:

https://www.tritonaudio.com/products
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:30 amI have one of each coming. Assuming they perform as advertised, I’ll likely keep both and buy more but which ones, I don’t know. Here is TritonAudio’s site:

One of the things I have to say I LOVE about getting stuff though Amazon is how easy it is to return stuff if it doesn't end up doing what you need it to. Saved me all sorts of headaches when I was working out what I needed with my Mac Studio when I first got it. The guy at the UPS Store got to know me pretty well. :) That was my preferred method of return. Print the return QR code from Amazon then just take the item to nearest UPS store, hand it to the person, they scan the code, done.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:37 am
mikehalloran wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:30 amI have one of each coming. Assuming they perform as advertised, I’ll likely keep both and buy more but which ones, I don’t know. Here is TritonAudio’s site:

One of the things I have to say I LOVE about getting stuff though Amazon is how easy it is to return stuff if it doesn't end up doing what you need it to. Saved me all sorts of headaches when I was working out what I needed with my Mac Studio when I first got it. The guy at the UPS Store got to know me pretty well. :) That was my preferred method of return. Print the return QR code from Amazon then just take the item to nearest UPS store, hand it to the person, they scan the code, done.
Brother James, you are preaching to the choir (or, in my case, the Choir Director).