UVI Falcon STANDALONE can access old MachFive .ufs volumes!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UVI Falcon STANDALONE can access old MachFive .ufs volumes!

Post by James Steele »

Well this is kind of amazing to me and wanted to post in it's own topic. As many of you know there are old MachFive .ufs sample library volumes that are protected with iLok that can't be opened if DP is running in native mode. One workaround I came up with is to use a pre M1 support version of UVI Workstation (anything earlier than 3.1.0). In my case I removed latest UVI WS and installed 3.0.5 and using that, I can open the old MachFive, Ethno, MSI, etc. libraries while running DP in AS native mode. Falcon of course will choke on those libraries.

I did discover tonight that amazingly, if Falcon is running as the standalone app, it CAN open those libraries. Check out the library pane screenshot below. This is from the latest standalone Falcon... all the old legacy M5 volumes appear and I verified they are accessible!! So obviously, it's just plug-ins that must run in Rosetta to be able to open those volumes. I would not doubt it that if one were to install an older non-M1 version of the Falcon plug-in, it would also open those old libraries inside of DP. It just might not be compatible with changes in newer libraries, so might be best if I stick to my current system of having latest Falcon and a legacy UVI Workstation on my Mac Studio.

I did experiment with trying to put both the latest version and the older version of UVI Workstation on my system at the same time by first installing version 3.0.5, then downloading the installer of the latest version (not letting UVI Portal run the install) and then installing ONLY the VST3 plug-in of the new version, since there was no VST3 version of the older UVI Workstation. That worked for a while and I could see two UVI Workstations in the plug-in list and had to choose the correct one based on the order the appeared. I messed around with trying to change the name of plugs so it was apparent and messed with the plist inside of the plug-in bundle. I ended up screwing things up and had to delete every file associated with UVI Workstation off my computer and then reinstall the old version, so I gave up on that... happy to get back to where I was before: latest Falcon plugin for the newer libraries, the legacy UVI Workstation plugin for the older ones.

falconstandaloneandoldm5libraries.png
falconstandaloneandoldm5libraries.png (278.3 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!