MacOS Ventura & USB and Hybrid audio interfaces & Firewire/Thunderbolt-adapter support

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
ooons
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MacOS Ventura & USB and Hybrid audio interfaces & Firewire/Thunderbolt-adapter support

Post by ooons »

Knowing how long it took Motu to announce official support for my Ultralite MK3 Hybrid when the last Macos update was released, it's better to ask here for people's experiences.

Has anyone updated to MacOS Ventura 13.0 and found their Motu devices functional? Especially these older "USB and Hybrid" devices.

Thanks!

I dont use mine for "professional use".
Last edited by ooons on Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran

Re: MacOS Ventura & USB and "Hybrid" audio interfaces?

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: MacOS Ventura & USB and

Post by James Steele »

ooons wrote:Has anyone updated to MacOS Ventura 13.0 and found their Motu devices functional? Especially these older "USB and Hybrid" devices.

Thanks!

I dont use mine for "professional use".
I don’t think there are many people on this board who are going to be diving in anytime soon. If they do, good luck. A lot of music software and plug ins aren’t tested fully. I think someone said Native Instruments’ position is not to do it yet.

Maybe someone will be the…

25776996-09F9-4E9A-8C0D-75A97B83C5AE.jpeg
25776996-09F9-4E9A-8C0D-75A97B83C5AE.jpeg (48.11 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

My studio Mac has one overarching important function: run DP and all the plugins I use within DP.

Ventura will almost certainly meet this Mac someday. Probably at about Version .3 or .4
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mothra

Post by mothra »

My 828x is fine in Ventura. It uses the same driver the rest of the 'hybrids' do so you should be good to go.

No clue about DP as Im a Cubase user, but everything here with one exception (2 plugs from one single company) is running as it should be.
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm just a bit leery, because I saw someone say elsewhere on this forum that Native Instruments recommended NOT going to Ventura yet. I've seen a few plug in developers mention some issues, so might be wise to hold back for a bit.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mothra

Post by mothra »

James Steele wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:59 pm I'm just a bit leery, because I saw someone say elsewhere on this forum that Native Instruments recommended NOT going to Ventura yet. I've seen a few plug in developers mention some issues, so might be wise to hold back for a bit.
Seen more than a few folks running NI stuff with no issues so far (knock on wood). Believe it or not, Absynth 5 still works here. Had a crash when I closed the standalone once, but that old thing still works just fine in Ventura (as does the OG Massive), I would imagine Reaktor/Kontakt/etc do too.

Im just waiting on Minimal Audio to wrap up the fixes for Rift and MorphEQ (and they're freebie plugins). For some reason, they aren't able to read or write to their ~/Library/Application Support folders so even though they were already authorized and working on Monterey, they act as if they are unregistered and trying to authorize them does this weird half-ass logging you in to your account but never pulls the information from the license file. We were going back and forth about it during the initial beta, but they weren't testing it so we waited to see if the release fixed it. Turns out it didn't, but when I let them know Monday night after it released, they found it and are already working on it. PSP's dev contacted me too after seeing a post of mine about their stuff working fine. Seemed kinda shocked I hadn't run into any issues yet, so Im keeping an eye out on those to let them know if I run into any.
patthedog

Post by patthedog »

I'm going to hold off for a bit (which from prior experience means I'll cave in and upgrade in a couple of days from now).

My main concern is whether my original Firewire Ultralite will continue working with my current chain of Thunderbolt 3/2/Firewire 800/400 adapters. Still works like a champ under Monterey.
mothra

Post by mothra »

patthedog wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:11 am I'm going to hold off for a bit (which from prior experience means I'll cave in and upgrade in a couple of days from now).

My main concern is whether my original Firewire Ultralite will continue working with my current chain of Thunderbolt 3/2/Firewire 800/400 adapters. Still works like a champ under Monterey.
Should be fine for now. Still up in the air whether they will actually keep working or not. Once kext's are finally killed off for good, new drivers based off Apples DriverKit supposedly don't support the Firewire protocol anymore. RME has stated this is why their older devices aren't going to work as they are testing out the new drivers and have dropped them all going forward. BUT, you can still find references to the FireWire protocol in the AudioDriverKit documentation so who knows.

MOTU is still using the old style drivers (and funny enough, Apple's latest driver for the old Emagic AMT8/Unitor interface is too), and other folks over at Gearspace and KvR still have them working so there is that.
patthedog

Post by patthedog »

Just to clarify, when you say "should be fine for now" are you saying it should be fine to stick to Monterey, or that upgrading to Ventura should be fine?
ooons

Post by ooons »

patthedog wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:11 am I'm going to hold off for a bit (which from prior experience means I'll cave in and upgrade in a couple of days from now).

This is actually my main concern as well, I just forgot to mention it in my first post. The USB port on my MK3 Hybrid was alwaus unreliable until it died for good. I have to use the Firewire/Thunderbolt -adapter chain to use my Ultralite.

I guess connections via Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter are incompatible with Ventura?

However, even on the RME forums some people are saying their Firewire-devices work fine under Ventura.

???
ooons

Post by ooons »

In this RME thread people are reporting that firewire audio devices work fine under Ventura: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35951

I guess this mean it should be safe to upgrade?
patthedog

Re: MacOS Ventura & USB and Hybrid audio interfaces & Firewire/Thunderbolt-adapter support

Post by patthedog »

That looks very promising indeed! You first though. :P
ooons

Re: MacOS Ventura & USB and Hybrid audio interfaces & Firewire/Thunderbolt-adapter support

Post by ooons »

patthedog wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:27 am That looks very promising indeed! You first though. :P
Heh.

I'll probably do it tomorrow or so.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

ooons wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:08 am In this RME thread people are reporting that firewire audio devices work fine under Ventura: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35951

I guess this mean it should be safe to upgrade?
My RME FF800 is NOT running well under OS 12.6 If my M1 MBP sleeps, the MIDI (driver?) disappears. So now must always shut down, but even that is a hassle, because TotalMix becomes unresponsive and I have to force-quit that in order to shut-down.

Give that Apple doesn't give a flying F about firewire , I highly doubt it will improve with Ventura. I was glad to hear others were having better luck.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com