Using Pipper browser to have floating AVB Mixer window

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using Pipper browser to have floating AVB Mixer window

Post by James Steele »

So as many of you know, I've only recently graduated from older PCIe based MOTU hardware to using the newer interfaces. I now have a MOTU 828es and a 24Ai, and I've been having to delve into the routing and mixing functions that are controlled via the browser-based AVB Mixer that comes up with MOTU Pro Audio Control.

So I was searching for a way to be able to keep the AVB Mixer *floating* and in the foreground while working in DP so I wouldn't have to Shift + Tab to bring it forward... I could just click on it and make adjustments and also see what was going on with it. Also, if I changed Window Sets it would still be on top and visible.

I found a great solution for this--a little known browser app called Pipper. I discovered it while scouring forums trying to find a browser that would stay on top and reading a post by the developer himself mentioning this little app he created. Previously, you'd have to open Pipper and then click a bookmark for the AVB MIxer URL. I wrote the developer last night asking if he might add a way to designate a "Home URL" that would automatically open when launching Pipper. This morning he replied that he added it and posted version 1.0.2

Anyway, here's the video demonstrating its usefulness. I just shot it quickly with my iPhone, rather than never get it done trying to make a fancy video with my good camera and edit it, etc. Just not set up for that... yet.

https://github.com/curzel-it/pipper/releases/tag/v1.0.2
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Re: User Pipper browser to have floating AVB Mixer window

Post by HCMarkus »

You can also keep the AVB Mixer up on an iPad and not worry about DAW focus. That's what I've been doing for a few years now.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:19 am You can also keep the AVB Mixer up on an iPad and not worry about DAW focus. That's what I've been doing for a few years now.
And if you don't have an iPad? I think I have an old iPad 2, but sometimes this is just easier for me. In the YouTube video I showed it on my *main* monitor just so I wasn't having to do a really wide shot with two monitors, but normally I'd float it on my secondary monitor (not visible) to the left side of my main monitor.

I guess the point is that this may help somebody who doesn't HAVE an iPad or Tablet, so thought I'd share.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:22 am
HCMarkus wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:19 am You can also keep the AVB Mixer up on an iPad and not worry about DAW focus. That's what I've been doing for a few years now.
And if you don't have an iPad? I think I have an old iPad 2, but sometimes this is just easier for me. In the YouTube video I showed it on my *main* monitor just so I wasn't having to do a really wide shot with two monitors, but normally I'd float it on my secondary monitor (not visible) to the left side of my main monitor.

I guess the point is that this may help somebody who doesn't HAVE an iPad or Tablet, so thought I'd share.
Me too! And I appreciate your suggestion James.

I use an ancient iPad Air; seems to work fine.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

James Steele wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:22 am I guess the point is that this may help somebody who doesn't HAVE an iPad or Tablet, so thought I'd share.
James this is great! Good timing too. I'm about to integrate an AVB interface on a secondary machine (Mac Mini). I have an iPad Pro, but I don't want to use it for this. It's much more convenient in my situation to access it on the Mini's screen.. I'll try it!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Phil O

Re: Using Pipper browser to have floating AVB Mixer window

Post by Phil O »

Thanks, James. I've been annoyed by flipping back and forth myself. I'm going to check this out. I think it will be very useful. 8)

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Here's the link. https://github.com/curzel-it/pipper/releases/tag/v1.0.2
Note it doesn't work on macOS10.13. Needs V12.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:34 pm Here's the link. https://github.com/curzel-it/pipper/releases/tag/v1.0.2
Note it doesn't work on macOS10.13. Needs V12.
Ahhh... I forgot I put the link in the YouTube post, but not my original post. So it only works in Monterey???

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Here's the guy's main page for that app...

https://github.com/curzel-it/pipper

It IS kind of cool that he linked to this forum and to the YouTube video I made.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:59 pm So it only works in Monterey???
Looks like it. I'll get there one day.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:05 pm
James Steele wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:59 pm So it only works in Monterey???
Looks like it. I'll get there one day.
Oh that's a bummer. I had no idea. The documentation with it is obviously very sparse as the developer is a one-man-band sort of thing.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:17 pm Oh that's a bummer. I had no idea. The documentation with it is obviously very sparse as the developer is a one-man-band sort of thing.
That’s what his notes day. Not really a bummer. Better for a small developer to focus on up to date configurations.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well, I meant bummer for people who are still on Intel machines I guess.

sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

I don' have an iPad, so this is very useful info. Thank you, James.
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Pipper is has been updated to version 1.1:

https://github.com/curzel-it/pipper/releases/tag/1.1