Chord Track

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
LaudMusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Chord Track

Post by LaudMusic »

It would be great for DP to have a Chord Symbol track. And that track can per viewed in any view/editor window. I always like to see my chord changed when I'm composing on screen rather than looking to the side or down at my notation book.

Let's all put in a feature request!
FMiguelez

Re: Chord Track

Post by FMiguelez »

I've thought about this too.
There are a few ways, none ideal, to have a pseudo-chords track, as I'm sure you've tried yourself.

Markers would be a great way to show them if one could selectively hide/show different marker categories (which IMO, it's long overdue).
In complicated pieces where I need to see the harmony, I use a normal MIDI track in pink and play the chords in there. It can easily be shown/hidden, and it's viewable in QS too.

It would be nice if DP had a quick way to record harmony tracks by playing them normally and DP recognizing the harmony, no matter the voicing or tensions used, sort of like Finale, where you can create your own banks.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Gone To Lunch

Post by Gone To Lunch »

Count me in. I would welcome this too.
http://gonetolunchmusic.com/
Current sex toys : DP 9.52, Mac Pro 5,1, 3.46GHz 6-core Intel Xeon, 32GB RAM, OS X 10.13.6, Motu 828 Mk3 Firewire. Sounds by VSL, Mach Five 3, Addictive Drums 2, Native Instruments, Orange Tree, Bolder Sounds. Plug-ins by PSP, 2CAudio, Waves & Lexicon. Scores by Sibelius Ultimate 2019.5.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I forgot it didn't have one, as I don't tend to write music from a chord basis (I'm afraid anything I write would be too derivative if I did so, but I make an exception when randomly jamming on a new instrument that has unusual voicing, in other words anything that isn't a guitar).

I "need" this feature at the moment though, as I am finally in a jazz project that wants to emphasize originals by the band members, and I have tended to voice most of my material after the core arrangement and parts are done. I had thought of just exporting MIDI from DP to Finale and doing it there, but I can see how it would be quicker -- especially when editing -- to do it in DP, and I seem to recall that Cubase now has this feature (if it didn't already -- I can't check as I got locked out of my license due to a snafu last March and have been too busy to aggressively follow up on the vendor's non-response).

I do use Logic now and then but hate it; it's just a necessary evil for using the updated version of Alchemy, and for doing MIDI transforms of Note On Velocity to MIDI CC (any CC will do as it can be reassigned); almost all orchestral libraries now deal with note velocity solely via CC and the last I checked this one conversion is still not in DP. Anyway, I can't remember if Logic has chording available or not.

Toontrack EZkeys has a chording feature that I think can interpret manually loaded MIDI, but it's been a while since I tried that. Even so, it would probably be difficult to get that to line up properly in an overlay in DP notes, even the new-ish lyrics feature, or any other mechanism, so I suppose the ideal would be a space above the staff in QuickScribe or maybe Notation Editor.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
ivorysteve

Post by ivorysteve »

I would also love this. I find it useful when building orchestrations of film score cues. I use the Markers area, but I use that for other things as well, so it becomes a mess. I think Cuebase or Logic has it - I've seen it on some YouTube presentations.

Steve
-------
2018 Mac mini 6-core i7 32 GB RAM, UHD Graphics with 2 displays, MacOS Big Sur
2019 MacBook Pro i9 8-core 32 GB RAM, MacOS Big Sur as VEP slave
MOTU M4 audio IF, Monogram CC controller
DP 11
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I wondered if separate markers could be created, hidden, etc. by using Conductor Track takes, but the markers all just show in every take.

I suppose one approach would be for DP to have a dedicated Marker track-- or just allow markers to actually be contained in Conductor takes. Beyond that, MOTU could add some additional features to make using Markers for chords easier-- as suggested above, having "marker types"

I suppose another approach to this could be to have chords worked into the lyrics functions-- since it has a similar feature of being linked to notes & rhythms-- of course, chords can change when there is no note, so that's not as ideal as the marker features.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Logic had chord detection and the chords appeared in some windows, but it looks like that was discontinued.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Yes! I’ve been asking for this for years.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I would export MusicXML and import into Finale (or equivalent) and use the Chord Analysis tool.

https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fi ... =chords%20
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
shansen1

Post by shansen1 »

Try MuseScore it is free and extremely good.

https://musescore.org/en