Seeing AVB inputs in DP's Bundles Window?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Seeing AVB inputs in DP's Bundles Window?

Post by James Steele »

Wanting to tap into the brain trust here since it’s a weekend.

I have an 828es as my main interface connected via Thunderbolt. I also have a 24Ai that I connected up tonight via Cat5e cable to the 828es’ Network Port. I know I need to enable one AVB stream for each 8 channels of input from the 24Ai. Anyway… I’m struggling with understanding the routing matrix in Pro Audio Control. Shouldn’t I be able to see the inputs from the 24Ai in DP’s Bundles window? All I can see is the 828es. Certainly I don’t have to connect the 24Ai via USB, right? Once 828es is configured to get AVB stream from 24Ai connected to its network port… shouldn’t those inputs also be in DP’s bundles window and available as audio inputs in DP?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Seeing AVB inputs in DP's Bundles Window?

Post by James Steele »

Okay… never mind… I think it has to do with routing the incoming AVB stream from 24Ai to the 828es… “To Computer” so that it will appear in the Bundles window in DP.

Yeesh… it’s quite something to wrap my head around this routing matrix.

Also, I’m a bit sad that the old style “Direct hardware playthrough” the existed in the old PCIe systems is gone. I take it that basically the Pro Audio Control Mixer page is sort of the Cue Mix on Steroids and I’ll monitor inputs through that, while tracking parts.

My brain hurts! :P
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
EMRR

Re: Seeing AVB inputs in DP's Bundles Window?

Post by EMRR »

They really should have coded “Direct hardware playthrough”. I haven't seen a compelling reason why it didn't happen.

With multiple hardware devices the matrix is more confusing than Dante Controller, which works very much the same way. There are lots of things that appear 180 degrees from the way they actually are.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing