Mac Studio won't reliably shut down, but restarts with error

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Tonio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac Studio won't reliably shut down, but restarts with error

Post by Tonio »

I'm getting spontaneous restarts either way- power off 828es before or after the Mac. This is totally wacky : :smash:
:shake:
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tonio wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:06 pm I'm getting spontaneous restarts either way- power off 828es before or after the Mac. This is totally wacky : :smash:
:shake:
Hmmm... then in your case it might be something that as nothing to do with the 828es. Do you have Native Instruments' Native Access installed? Oh, in your signature you mean "2TB" right... not "2GB"... that could be a problem then. :? :lol:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

James Steele wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:37 pmHmmm... then in your case it might be something that as nothing to do with the 828es. Do you have Native Instruments' Native Access installed? Oh, in your signature you mean "2TB" right... not "2GB"... that could be a problem then. :? :lol:
LOL, yeah fixed to 2TB , and yes I have Native access installed. I shut down 828es prior to the Mac last night, and no issues.

I will check audio driver and see if I'm up to date on firmware etc.
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Reviving this thread. I recently updated to Ventura 13.4.1. So far, I've done two shut downs without turning off the 828es prior and they were successful without the spontaneous restart and error message.

I don't know if this was pure, dumb luck and coincidence. I hope not. About to try it again now before I crash out. Crossing my fingers.

UPDATE: #3 was successful as well. I wonder if this is a fix?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:04 am Reviving this thread. I recently updated to Ventura 13.4.1. So far, I've done two shut downs without turning off the 828es prior and they were successful without the spontaneous restart and error message.

I don't know if this was pure, dumb luck and coincidence. I hope not. About to try it again now before I crash out. Crossing my fingers.

My experience, too. Appears the issue is resolved.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:48 am
James Steele wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:04 am Reviving this thread. I recently updated to Ventura 13.4.1. So far, I've done two shut downs without turning off the 828es prior and they were successful without the spontaneous restart and error message.

My experience, too. Appears the issue is resolved.
GREAT!!! Well that is terrific news. When I reported it to MOTU, they weren't even able to reproduce it, so glad it was an Apple thing!

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well, unhappy to report that I just had a shutdown failure with a restart and error. I had about six successful shut downs with my 828es powered up, but just now it did a restart. I'm removing the "RESOLVED" for now. :(

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well this issue is back like a big dog. All I can guess is maybe it has something to do with the setup of my 4K TV as my main monitor. The reason I'm guessing this is a new monitor was delivered today and I started to replace the 4K and unplugged the HDMI cable. But then decided I needed to do something on the computer first so plugged it back in and the 4K went through its' whole "unrecognized device" thing when it was powered up and all my color adjustments that I made seem to be gone. It was after this, that the restarts began.

I don't really care about it messing up the colors as I'm going to do a full reset and uses this as my bedroom TV and install an actually computer monitor soon. It will be interesting if the problem persists. Perhaps its a 4KTV setting? I know HC Markus you are using a 4K TV as your main monitor too. Is it Samsung like mine?

Oh well... I'll know more in an hour or two. :)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Have the Activity Monitor visible. If anything turns red, drill down immediately till you see what it is.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:37 pm Have the Activity Monitor visible. If anything turns red, drill down immediately till you see what it is.
I will try that in the future.

As it turns out, that INNOCN 40" Ultrawide monitor was not very good and I just got back from dropping it off at a UPS Store to return to Amazon. You get what you pay for. $400 for a 40" Ultrawide monitor made in China. What was I thinking? It was immediately fuzzy looking and my Samsung 43" 4K TV sad to say smokes it. The color accuracy on the Samsung may be lacking, but it's better. I did lose a lot of the color tweaks I made by disconnecting it from the Mac Studio however.

I probably don't need that TB dock that I ordered, but OWC already shipped it and I may just keep it as I'm sure someday I'll want it for future expansion. Oh... and the Raven deal turned out to be a nightmare with the seller and I bailed... but I'll expand on that in the correct topic.

Black-Man

Post by Black-Man »

I definitely *had* this issue w/ Mac Studio M1 Max, 828es. Since Ventura 13.4.1 it has stopped. I shutdown the computer first, then the 828es due to habit. My old Mac Pro and 828mk2, I *had* to shut off the computer first or MOTU audio would go berzerkers.
Mac Studio Max, 828es, DP 11
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah. I don’t know why it happened initially and it went away with Ventura 13.4.1 too. What’s odd is I briefly switched out my MacAlly keyboard for an Apple one, and then it came back. Since then I switched back to the MacAlly and it’s gone away, but I think it’s just a weird coincidence.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I was having some installation issues with the IK Product Manager in Ventura 13.4.1. Long story short, the 13.4.1(c) Security Update released a few days ago did the trick.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
LondonMike

Post by LondonMike »

Hi I came across this discussion while searching for solutions for my Mac Studio M2 issues.

Got the computer in June and used it with my Ultralite Mk5 with decent (not perfect) reliability. However a month ago I started getting random restarts and shutdowns.

The last shutdown was terminal as the computer would no longer boot up and the LED was flashing orange! However when that happened the Motu wasn't connected although I had installed the Gen 5 and drivers ready.

I think now that the problem wasn't caused by the Ultralite although the MIDI side of it is very flaky both on the Mac Studio and my previous Mac Pro late 2013.

Apple have been unable to find any fault with the computer and I can't believe a bit of software could cause such catastrophic failure so I'm thinking maybe it's another peripheral (hub, external drive, one of my monitors etc)

I saw in this thread, mention of IK stuff and NTKDaemon both of which I was suspecting and while doing my second clean install of all my 3rd party plugins, it shutdown just as I was installing Syntronik, T-Racks, Amplitude etc..

It's been a nightmare but I'm going to slowly fresh install everything for the third time and I'll leave IK until last.
Mac Pro late 2013 6-core 32GB 1TB
OS Monterey
Logic 10.7.7
Motu Ultralite MK 5