4PRE connectivity thru USB

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
arlandsc
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

4PRE connectivity thru USB

Post by arlandsc »

Hello there,

I am an aspiring motu user - I just got a 4pre interface to use with MBP but unfortunately haven't been able to use it apart from as a standalone mixer :(

I have trawled through this forum for answers and have been working on this for about a week but to no avail... :banghead:

My issue is that the 4pre interface, when connected through USB to any computer, will not be recognised. It will not appear in system info on Mac, nor devices on Windows. I have tried Installing, Reinstalling, Clean wiping drivers and software for the 4pre, but nothing seems to work. :smash:

The only thing I haven't tried is to run it through FW, though this would require buying a new cable :/

Does anybody have any ideas? I would appreciate any suggestions!
aspiring piano :headbang:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: 4PRE connectivity thru USB

Post by James Steele »

I’m assuming you went to MOTU.com and downloaded and installed any required driver software?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
arlandsc

Post by arlandsc »

Thanks for responding -

Yes, I installed necessary driver software, I also tried downloading just about any driver versions that were compatible with Catalina.
arlandsc

Post by arlandsc »

After doing some more testing, i think there might be two solutions though I have no idea if they'll work.

I think that the MBP, having only usb 3 ports, isn't detecting the usb 2 4PRE, or the drivers aren't designed for usb 3 ports. Could this be the case? And if so, are there any software fixes for this?

Or could this just be remedied with a USB 2 hub? Or should I just use a firewire cable instead?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Could your interface be faulty?

I'd reach out to MOTU via a TechLink at MOTU.com.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

arlandsc wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:28 pm Hello there,

My issue is that the 4pre interface, when connected through USB to any computer, will not be recognised. It will not appear in system info on Mac, nor devices on Windows. I have tried Installing, Reinstalling, Clean wiping drivers and software for the 4pre, but nothing seems to work. :smash:

Does anybody have any ideas? I would appreciate any suggestions!
Ok, USB is probably not your issue but I'll address that last.

I'm guessing you haven't done this:
https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... igh-sierra

Per Apple, it must be done within 30 minutes of installing the drivers. If you missed that window, reinstall the drivers first.

This is the driver you installed, yes? If not, go to Downloads, Audio Interfaces, select 4Pre and click on VIEW ALL DOWNLOADS to find it.
MOTU Audio Installer
Version: 83634
Release Date: Jan. 2, 2020
Supported Platforms
macOS 10.15
Then run the Enabling procedure above.

On the off chance it is your USB ports, reset the NV RAM and SMC. If there's a port issue, this will reset them to Default.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reset-macs-smc-pram/

If you cannot reset the NV RAM, call Apple unless you have AutoTune installed. There's an issue with certain versions of the CodeMeter license daemon used by Antares.

Use a fresh USB 2 cable, not USB 3. Connect directly and not through a hub.

It should work through a USB hub but these are notorious for disconnecting. The fix is to remove and reconnect the hub from your Mac and your interface from the hub with the Mac on. Some hubs are much better than others in this regard.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
arlandsc

Post by arlandsc »

Thankyou for the help!

- I have contacted MOTU thru a techlink but that doesn't seem to be going anywhere :/

I have also tried resetting SMC and PRAM, but I am unsure of whether that has helped. I also reinstalled the drivers, but I haven't yet seen the "allow MOTU" option in system preferences, despite multiple reinstalls.

Is there a way to force the enabling option to appear in security ? Or should I do a clean wipe of any motu software before reinstalling?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Install the driver. Reboot then check Security. Sometimes it doesn’t show up till then.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
arlandsc

Post by arlandsc »

I did a clean wipe, uninstalled kext files that were originally downloaded, and reran the audio installer multiple times, but still no option in security.

Is there a way to see whether the drivers have been accepted? Or is there a way to force the drivers to be accepted? Thankyou for helping out :)
arlandsc

Post by arlandsc »

I have also noticed that in system info, MOTUFireWireAudio.kext shows authentication errors:

I have attached a screenshot of the page in system info.
Attachments
sysinfo.png
sysinfo.png (232.87 KiB) Viewed 422 times