DVD/BD ext drives for Big Sur and up?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

digitiki
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DVD/BD ext drives for Big Sur and up?

Post by digitiki »

Due to an issue with my iPhone and a long tech call with Apple, I updated to Bug Sur....big mistake! My neveralble old Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD external player/writer is now no longer compatible. Samsung doesn't seem to have updated drivers for it either.

Can anyone recommend an external BD/DVD reader/writer that is compatible with Big Sur and Moneray? Every drive I see online doesn't clearly state if its compatible with MacOS 11.7 or higher. This is very frustrating.
HCMarkus

Re: DVD/BD ext drives for Big Sur and up?

Post by HCMarkus »

I've got an LG in an OWC External USB/Firewire case. I haven't tried to burn a CD/BD since I got my Mac Studio, but I have used it (once!) to play a CD without issue. It is connected to the Mac via USB.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Re: DVD/BD ext drives for Big Sur and up?

Post by mikehalloran »

Couldn’t be simpler: Do not buy a CD/DVD player that requires a Mac driver. Frankly, I don’t know that you can even buy one nowadays. CoreAudio and the MacOS support them right out of the box.

External drives begin around $18 on Amazon. You want USB. Plug and play.

I find that, when plugged into a USB hub, my drives often do not show up. Unplug and re-plug the drive into the hub. If that doesn’t work, unplug and re-plug the hub into your Mac. This has nothing to do with Big Sur or any other MacOS — it’s been a known issue since the G5 and OS 10.5.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro