Avid releases PT 2022.9 today. Still not native.

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

Kinda pathetic, Avid.

Anyway, home from hospital. Try to relax, but saw that in my inbox and it was just too crazy not to post about. Can't believe Avid is screwing the pooch so badly.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Re: Avid releases PT 2022.9 today. Still not native.

Post by Michael Canavan »

To name and shame, the same thing happened with Speakerphone by Audio Ease. The plug in was updated with no Apple Silicon support mentioned etc. Obviously one plug in isn't as big of a deal as a whole DAW.

It's a race to the bottom of the List between Reason and Pro Tools for who will be last in line for Apple Silicon Native versions, literally every other Major DAW is native by now. Looking like Reason Studios might put out an AS native version first at this point.

I'm bitching at the mods at the Slate forum about the Raven software and they mention some sort of iLok hardware dongle dependency issue that makes life hard etc. Only thing is I do have EW Opus native on a hardware dongle so that's a hollow excuse IMO.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

From what I have heard, the ILok excuse is no longer valid. Pace released the needed SDK. Bill at WaveArts told me this when I messaged him to ask why ILok versions of Final and TrackPlug weren’t yet Apple Silicon native? He responded that he has what he needed and he was meaning to get to it soon.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:42 pm From what I have heard, the ILok excuse is no longer valid. Pace released the needed SDK. Bill at WaveArts told me this when I messaged him to ask why ILok versions of Final and TrackPlug weren’t yet Apple Silicon native? He responded that he has what he needed and he was meaning to get to it soon.
That's awesome that he's not shying away from responsibility there.

On a side note, I reset my studio to use the 09 Mac Pro here, and it's just so painfully obvious how much faster the AS macs are at pretty much every basic task, opening a project, scanning plug ins etc. I'm slowly converting old projects that I'm still working on to AU if the plug can run in Rosetta, and audio for the ones that can't. That the AS macs are "snappier" doesn't even cut it.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Can't believe I just sent $199 to Avid to keep my perpetual Pro Tools Studio license current for another year!

I bought the license "used" for half price ($300) last October from a guy who received it as a gift and already had one. I was leery, but I met him at a pub with WiFi and verified the license transfer and all that before money exchanged hands. NEVER did I figure Avid would STILL NOT BE NATIVE a year after I bought that license. Seriously, Avid... you need to collect your fecal matter and locate it in the same approximate place... (aka... get your S*** together!).

I will ASSUME that I'll be installing a M1-native Pro Tools before my license runs out again in October 2023! Avid sort of has a gun to their users' heads. Either you pay the discounted $199 annually to keep your perpetual alive (for the PT Studio level), or they force you to go to the subscription which is $100 more per year. And I ONLY GOT IT FOR COMPATIBILITY.

Digital Performer is far and away my favorite and primary DAW. I got Pro Tools just to have IN CASE I collaborated with someone who is using it and needed it, but now my "investment" is becoming heavier than I wanted and no AS Native version. Lame. I don't see how Avid can maintain this business model. YouTube is full of videos by musicians and small studio owners talking about how they're ditching Avid and going to other DAWs. Most of the time they seem to go with Cubase or Studio One. I try to get them to try Digital Performer whenever I can. DP still has a bit of "this is your dad's sequencer" image, but for all it's quirks, it's a great platform!

Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

James Steele wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:45 pm Either you pay the discounted $199 annually to keep your perpetual alive (for the PT Studio level), or they force you to go to the subscription which is $100 more per year. And I ONLY GOT IT FOR COMPATIBILITY.
I paid the $300 subscription renewal in June, I think. My daughter is studying sound production at college this year, and of course it's all about Pro Tools. We got her a license in August, and it was on sale (just before school started) for $200. :wink:

It was not a school exclusive, anyone could have gotten (PT Studio subscription) for that price, at that time. I got ripped, lol!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I’ve seen that Avid is somewhat quietly trying to staunch some of the blowback and offering perpetual license “reinstatements” via some online retailers. I coughed up the $199 because I at least want to have a native version, but also I’m grandfathered in with a perpetual which renews for less than the regular subscription.

Did I mention I hate the subscription model?

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

More EPIC FAIL on the part of Avid. They're lately pushing out overpriced hardware. Today the new 2022.10 version dropped. Lots of bug fixes, but STILL NOT APPLE SILICON NATIVE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

633491769441562664-epic-fail.jpg
633491769441562664-epic-fail.jpg (53.19 KiB) Viewed 736 times

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'll tell you ONE good thing that happened after I just updated. There's now a QUIT option for Avid LInk!! :woohoo: