Capturing video with digital audio on a Mac

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Capturing video with digital audio on a Mac

Post by mikehalloran »

I figured that I'll start a new thread. This came up in the Plugins and Sales sticky
bayswater wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:09 pm
Mike: I’ve moved on to Blackhole, despite not having any problems with Soundflower, but I’m still using the old steam powered OS versions. Apple might be concerned with EU fines, but not to the point where they have removed the option in Quicktime to reroute audio at the same time as you screen record the video.
Ok, with the discontinuation of QT Pro, Apple has removed the ability to capture digital audio while recording a screen without a 3rd party plug-in of some sort while engaging/disengaging the correct sound sources in System Preferences/Sound. It cannot be done otherwise except through a microphone. The same is true for iOS and iPadOS. The EU has threatened Apple with hundreds of millions in fines if they re-enable this ability in the OS. Despite the thousands of complaints that Apple broke this and it needs to be fixed, that is never going to happen.

Black Hole is very good and free as we know. This guy talks too much (don't they all?) but this video is as good a tutorial as any on how to do that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSmM5FXzVBg

Roxio's Live Screen Capture is less convoluted than QT but I still need to have the System Preferences/Sound screen open (so I can quickly get back to what I was doing) and it uses Soundflower. I have a workaround to keep it from causing the problems that gave me so much grief but I've found no way to use Blackhole with LCS.

In my usage, I rarely have a need for the video. It's always the audio. Case in point: Yesterday, I needed the Mellotron Spanish Guitar Intro made famous by King Crimson and The Beatles (intro to …Bungalow Bill) for a PowerPoint. I went to recordings of both but even on the White Album remaster, the sample had way too much noise for my use. This video had exactly what I was looking for and an audio capture gave me the sample I needed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SkjPV8TErc

If Audio Hijack can streamline the process, great. Again, I will post what I find out.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Capturing video with digital audio on a Mac

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:06 pm Black Hole is very good and free as we know. This guy talks too much (don't they all?) but this video is as good a tutorial as any on how to do that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSmM5FXzVBg
I refer to an old Macworld article that tells you how to do it with SoundFlower, but the same steps work with Black Hole.

Don't know if the article still exists, but here's a PDF of it.

www.heavyethics.com/DPAV/Capture%20audi ... cworld.pdf
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8