DP11.11 crash on open and bandwidth choking

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
larrytheo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP11.11 crash on open and bandwidth choking

Post by larrytheo »

I'm having problems with some ugly behavior using DP 11.11 with a 96 kHz/24-bit session. The session is not especially large, maybe half a dozen stereo tracks and the same number of audio tracks, about the same number of VIs and audio plugins. It's really not a heavy session, and my Late 2013 Mac Pro has handled more in the past.

But this session keeps crashing on open. DP opens and says it is reading the session, then crashes. If I keep trying, it will eventually open. Once it is open, it will sometimes decide to pop up a dialog saying that DP is having a problem playing and it recommends setting my buffer higher, but it is already set to 2048.

I am running macOS Mojave and using MOTU interfaces.

Is anyone else seeing this? Any suggestions as to what might help?
Larry the O
Late 2013 MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB RAM, OS 12.6.6, DP 11.2, UAD-2 Satellite, MachFive3 3.2.1
1248, 16A, 8M audio interfaces, MTP-AV MIDI interfaces
waterstrum

Re: DP11.11 crash on open and bandwidth choking

Post by waterstrum »

I had something roughly similar and used the load function in a new blank session.
Voila, it worked fine.
That said, Mojave and the old Intel gear is getting long in the tooth.
All is well
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dix »

I believe these are two unrelated problems.

Regarding the crash on open, I'm getting this too in DP11 on certain projects (at 48/24 and no buffer issues). Could be a plugin causing it? I haven't had time to troubleshoot, but a workaround, that works more often than not for me, is to open the project while in MIDI Only mode, and enable MAS after project is open....the crashed thread in the Crash Log isn't showing me anything useful.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
larrytheo

Post by larrytheo »

Somehow, in all of these years of using DP, I had never tried the Load function. Embarrassing, as it would have come in handy many times for many things.

Anyway, I tried that suggestion. I had a number of sequences I needed from the old document, but I only loaded those I felt were absolutely crucial, figuring that if it worked, I could always load others when they become needed. So far, it seems to have helped, but it is not yet clear how much. After loading them all, the document crashed on open the first time I tried opening it, but then has been OK since.

Similarly, the first time I tried to play it I got the same dialog telling me the audio engine was overwhelmed, but it seems to be working since. So, I'm not sure whether or not the problem is resolved, but it does seem to have been helped.

Thanks for that idea! I'm sure I'll have other uses for Load in the future.

I also checked and found that I still have DP10 on my disk, so if all else fails, I might be able to fall back to that.
Larry the O
Late 2013 MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB RAM, OS 12.6.6, DP 11.2, UAD-2 Satellite, MachFive3 3.2.1
larrytheo

Post by larrytheo »

dix wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:07 pm I believe these are two unrelated problems.

Regarding the crash on open, I'm getting this too in DP11 on certain projects (at 48/24 and no buffer issues). Could be a plugin causing it? I haven't had time to troubleshoot, but a workaround, that works more often than not for me, is to open the project while in MIDI Only mode, and enable MAS after project is open....the crashed thread in the Crash Log isn't showing me anything useful.
Well, of course, it *could* be a plugin issue. Different chunks are behaving differently, which leads me to believe it is reacting to what is in the active chunk, or at least, reacting the most to that. In no chunk am I using a lot of plugins, and the plugins I'm using are pretty standard stuff: MOTU, Waves, Universal Audio, iZotope. If I have to, I'll try making a copy of sequence, removing all plugins, and see what happens. Nothing kills creation like extended troubleshooting procedures.
Larry the O
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I don't know if it's a plugin issue, but I do know that when running DP 11 natively, and thus utilizing whatever MOTU did under the hood to let us use non-native plugs via Rosetta 2 *while* DP is native, some plug ins cause issues. They'll load up, but usually you just get a full stop MAS error upon initiating playback. The lexicon MPX native plug was one of the culprits for me. Lexicon is busy blowing them out right now on sale with no mention if they'll ever be M1 native. Yikes.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
larrytheo

Post by larrytheo »

James Steele wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:50 pm I don't know if it's a plugin issue, but I do know that when running DP 11 natively, and thus utilizing whatever MOTU did under the hood to let us use non-native plugs via Rosetta 2 *while* DP is native, some plug ins cause issues. They'll load up, but usually you just get a full stop MAS error upon initiating playback. The lexicon MPX native plug was one of the culprits for me. Lexicon is busy blowing them out right now on sale with no mention if they'll ever be M1 native. Yikes.
Not sure what you mean by "natively." Are you talking about running on new Mac hardware? My machine is still Intel, which I'm hanging onto until it just won't work anymore - which could be soon.
Larry the O
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

larrytheo wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:18 pm
James Steele wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:50 pm I don't know if it's a plugin issue, but I do know that when running DP 11 natively, and thus utilizing whatever MOTU did under the hood to let us use non-native plugs via Rosetta 2 *while* DP is native, some plug ins cause issues. They'll load up, but usually you just get a full stop MAS error upon initiating playback. The lexicon MPX native plug was one of the culprits for me. Lexicon is busy blowing them out right now on sale with no mention if they'll ever be M1 native. Yikes.
Not sure what you mean by "natively." Are you talking about running on new Mac hardware? My machine is still Intel, which I'm hanging onto until it just won't work anymore - which could be soon.
Yeah... sorry. I didn't read your config. I thought about that after I posted. Hope you can isolate the cause.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
larrytheo

Post by larrytheo »

No apologies,James. I cannot begin to tell you how much you and this site have helped me over the years. I probably need to update my config listing anyway!
Larry the O
larrytheo

Post by larrytheo »

Oh, y'all are gonna LOVE this:

I appear to have solved the choking on playback problem. I was troubleshooting a sequence by removing things from it one at a time and then seeing if it would play without the audio overload error. After removing all plugins, I started removing tracks. (Of course I had a copy of the entire document.) After removing one particular stereo track, suddenly it played fine. I experimented with putting it back and got the error. The track was a bounce that had a single soundbite for the entire song. I deleted the track, created a new track, dragged the exact same soundbite into it, and it played fine. And so did a few other sequences that had been having playback problems.

So I opened my document copy (after about seven attempts), removed the nasty track from it, recreated it as before, and just finished working in it for about an hour without seeing the playback error since removing that track. All plugins are in place.

All I did was remove one stereo track, then recreate it exactly and that solved the error. A true What the Frog?!

I am, however, still having the crash on open issue, and the new document I created and used the Load command on to import sequences is having it, too. However, other documents of entirely different songs are NOT crashing on open, so maybe I can do some more troubleshooting and find another bizarre thing causing that problem.
Larry the O
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

larrytheo wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:50 am Oh, y'all are gonna LOVE this:

I appear to have solved the choking on playback problem. I was troubleshooting a sequence by removing things from it one at a time and then seeing if it would play without the audio overload error. After removing all plugins, I started removing tracks. (Of course I had a copy of the entire document.) After removing one particular stereo track, suddenly it played fine. I experimented with putting it back and got the error. The track was a bounce that had a single soundbite for the entire song. I deleted the track, created a new track, dragged the exact same soundbite into it, and it played fine. And so did a few other sequences that had been having playback problems.

So I opened my document copy (after about seven attempts), removed the nasty track from it, recreated it as before, and just finished working in it for about an hour without seeing the playback error since removing that track. All plugins are in place.

All I did was remove one stereo track, then recreate it exactly and that solved the error. A true What the Frog?!
That's weird! I'm pretty sure I've had something similar like that happen to me. Somehow.. some sort of corruption finds its way into a track and things like that happen. Bizarre, but glad you found it. Hope you get the remaining glitches solved.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A true What the Frog?!
Nope. This is an oldie but goodie. You found a corrupt header in an audio file. DP haaaaates these. There is one studio that sends me tons of these per year when I was on DP 4.51. In 2018, I had a live concert sent to me captured on a CD recorder — when I loaded those files into DP 9.51, they sounded horrible and, in 9.52 crashed my Mac big time—which is when I learned about APFS Snapshots.

The solution is easy: Strip the header and rewrite a new one. Converting an .aif or .wav file to a .wav file is one way. The raw audio remains unchanged. In a way, that’s what you did. QuickTime and AppleMusic/iTunes can be set up to do this but it’s a little convoluted for me. There are many utilities that can batch convert and do a much faster job (some might be free). I use TwistedWave but also can use DSP-Quattro

When I get files from that one studio (still!), I automatically batch convert them all. TW will convert a few hours worth in a couple minutes and sort them back to their original folders or dump them into a new one as I want. I let it overwrite the old—like Ron Popiel, I set it and forget it. Hmmmm I just realized, I’ve been dealing with that studio for 20 years—what the hell have they been doing?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
larrytheo

Post by larrytheo »

Huh. Not exactly sure what you mean. I used not only the same file the second time, but the same soundbite, that is, I never removed the soundbite or file from the document. I just deleted the track, created a new track, and dragged the exact same soundbite from the Soundbites window into the track.

However, I have several ways I can open the file raw and rewrite it with a new header, if that proves to be the actual problem.
Larry the O
larrytheo

Post by larrytheo »

OK, more progress, this time on the crash on open bug.

Working on a copy of the document (natch), I started deleting chunks, starting from the most recent and going back in time, and, after deleting each chunk, seeing if the document would boot without crashing. (My biggest use for chunks is to store timestamped copies of a song over time in its development). After deleting all the chunks I'd created since August, I got to where I was able to consistently open the document without crashes.

I now have to go to the first chunk that causes a crash (the last deleted) and try to figure out what in it is causing the crash, so there is still more painstaking work to do, but I'm getting there, bit by bit!
Larry the O
larrytheo

Post by larrytheo »

Well, well, well.

I updated to DP11.2 aaaaand....puh-roba-lem solved. My session opens fine every time.

BOY, did I waste a lot of time trying to troubleshoot that one.

Sigh.
Larry the O