Munt MT-32 Emulator! Pretty cool!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Munt MT-32 Emulator! Pretty cool!

Post by James Steele »

Okay... so I have some very, very, VERY old DP sequences that I did decades ago back when I had an MT-32. Actually I still own the MT-32 just not hooked up right now. Occasionally I'll dig through old projects and load a sequence which was meant for the MT-32 and there was no patch name given, although I'd have a patch change and volume message at beginning of each track, but without connecting up an MT-32 I'd have no idea what these are supposed to sound like. Anyway... I came across Munt which is an MT-32 Emulator that works pretty well.

You can download here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/f ... 7.0/macOS/

You'll see a list of files there. If you're on Catalina or later, you want to download "MT32Emu-qt-1.11.0.dmg" using the green download button at the upper left. If you're on an earlier version of MacOS, I guess you go into the "old platforms" folder and download the file inside there.

muntdownloadbutton.gif
muntdownloadbutton.gif (123.19 KiB) Viewed 3573 times

When you open the disk image you'll see an app: "mt32emu-qt" and a folder called "doc" and an alias to your Applications folder.

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 1.54.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 1.54.02 PM.png (70.1 KiB) Viewed 3567 times

I opted to go into my Applications folder and create a folder called "MT-32 Emulator." Then I copied the "doc" folder and the "mt32emu-qt" application into that folder, and then dragged the "mt32emu-qt" app to the Dock so I could launch it easier later. I ALSO created a folder inside the "MT-32 Emulator" folder called "Roland ROM Files". You should do that now... you'll see why later.

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 1.51.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 1.51.02 PM.png (19.91 KiB) Viewed 3570 times

Okay... so here's the sticky part. This emulator needs to use ROM images from the old Roland MT-32 which technically are copyrighted. So I can't post the link. Normally, I'm very uncomfortable with that sort of thing, but it's hard to see how Roland is being harmed if people like me want to play old sequences meant for the MT-32. If Roland sold an MT-32 emulation plug-in that worked on current versions of MacOS, I'd buy it. But it's not out there AFAIK. There is NO commercial alternative that works with current MacOS, and trust me I looked. If someone can point me to one, I'll delete this topic immediately.

So that said... I can't post a link, but if you Google "Roland ROMs - Google Drive" it's very likely there will be a link at the top of your search results. If you end up somewhere that looks like the screenshot below (but before you drank way too much) then you're probably in the right place.

ROM Location.png
ROM Location.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 3565 times

Using right-click you can download two files from there:

MT32_CONTROL.1988-09-30.vX.XX-patched.ROM
MT32_PCM.rom

Those are the only ones you need. There is another MT-32 file called "MT32_CONTROL.1987-10-07.v1.07.ROM" which I suppose is an alternative to the "patched" ROM, but I have not tried it and the video I found that helped me figure this out used the patched ROM which worked well.

I then put those two ROM images inside the "Roland ROMs" folder inside my "MT-32 Emulator" folder.

Launch the "mt32emu-qt" app. From the Options menu, choose "ROM Configuration..." At the top you will see where it shows you the "ROM Directory" with a default location. Click the button with three dots to the right of the directory and navigate to Applications/MT-32 Emulator/Roland ROM Files/ and choose "Open"

You should now see the ROM files in the file listing below. Click the check boxes to the left of them and click OK.

You should be good to go. By default, when it is launched "mt32emu-qt" will publish a virtual MIDI port that will appear in DP as "Mt32EmuPort". See screenshot below.
Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 1.39.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 1.39.40 PM.png (118.71 KiB) Viewed 3574 times

The usual MT-32 behaviors apply. It won't play anything on Channel 1. You use Channels 2-8 (or (?) for the standard instruments and Channel 10 is reserved for drums. But it will bring up the correct patches if there are embedded patch changes in the sequence and it responds to volume and pan... it does what it claims to do... it emulates the MT-32. Here's a pic of me using the emulator with DP. Notice it can be set to float on top while DP is foreground app.

DPandMunt.png
DPandMunt.png (2.49 MiB) Viewed 3563 times

Another caveat... the MT-32 emulator is an app, not a plug in, so its audio does not route through DP's mixing board, but goes directly to your output audio device. You can configure that somewhat from the emulators main window where it has a drop down menu for "Device:". In my case chose "CoreAudio: 828ES". It did not seem to allow me to choose particular outputs. There may be ways around this and ways to route the app into DP somehow using Soundflower or similar things, but I haven't tried. This is all the functionality I really need to figure out what some of my old projects meant for MT-32 actually sound like.

Oh... and one LAST thing... it does NOT appear as a MIDI device in Audio MIDI Setup... so really, as far as I know, there's no way to use Cherry Picker and use a custom patch list with it. Maybe someone brilliant can figure that one out, but it's probably not trivial.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Munt MT-32 Emulator! Pretty cool!

Post by James Steele »

An additional note: If you launched "mt32emu-qt" and configured the ROM, if you don't see any UI, launch DP and then as DP boots, mt32emu-qt's UI will appear. I noticed this has happened to me when I launch it for the first time after booting and there's no DAW currently running. Launch DP (or presumably other DAW) "tickles" it I guess to publish its virtual MIDI port and then the UI appears.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Very-cool James; thank you for sharing mate. :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

monkey man wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:07 pm Very-cool James; thank you for sharing mate. :headbang:
No worries. I should also add, that Munt appears to be able to create *multiple* instances of MT-32s. You can choose "New MIDI port..." and it will add another virtual MT32. In the Munt UI where you see "Synth 1" just under the title bar of the window--that's actually a button. When you add another MIDI port, a button "Synth 2" will appear next to it and you can change between the synths that way.

Also... and this is probably more important and I left this out figuring my post was getting too long and most would discover this on their own, you can click the button shown by the red arrow, and it will reveal the individual MT-32 parts and you can choose patches from there.

There's a lot more it does. There is documentation in that "doc" folder mentioned earlier. I *think* but suspect it can play back SMFs and might even be able to record them as there is that "Record" button visible in the UI.

partsandpatchselection.gif
partsandpatchselection.gif (246.13 KiB) Viewed 3500 times

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks for this post. I notice there is a reference to the D110 in one of the screen shots. I think that was the successor to the MT-32? I have a load of old sequences using one of these. It was stolen and I never replaced it. Do you know if this plays D110 sounds as you have set it up? Maybe it needs a separate D110 ROM file?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:35 am Thanks for this post. I notice there is a reference to the D110 in one of the screen shots. I think that was the successor to the MT-32? I have a load of old sequences using one of these. It was stolen and I never replaced it. Do you know if this plays D110 sounds as you have set it up? Maybe it needs a separate D110 ROM file?
I don't this this does that. The D-110 you saw was in my screen shot of my own system and MIDI devices. I actually still have a physical hardware unit, although I don't use it much these days. It's my goal to set up a good sized "Nostalgia Rack" with lots or older hardware just for fun.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:15 am The D-110 you saw was in my screen shot of my own system and MIDI devices.
Ah. I should have looked more closely. I recall having a sysex file that would add the MT32 presets to the D110.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just an update to this thread... there was an update, version 1.11, posted about 2 months ago that now has an Intel version of the app and the ARM or Apple Silicon version. You can get it here.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/

You'll see links with the links to the .dmg files there and the one that ends with "..."arm64.dmg" is the Apple Silicon one.

WARNING: Back up the old version just in case, before replacing the old version because....

THE NEW APP WILL GIVE YOU AN ERROR. I can't remember exactly... something about being damaged. I don't know why that is but I fixed it using the method in this thread:

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72872

Basically, after installing the new version of Munt (and verifying for yourself that you get the error)...

Open Terminal and type:
sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine <-- include a space after quarantine

Then go to the Finder window and then drag the app into Terminal and drop it just behind "quarantine " and Terminal will autofill the path to the app for you. Then hit "Enter" and then enter your password when prompted. That should fix it and you should then be able to lunch Munt.

Don't panic if it opens in a blank window. You have to open DP (or other DAW) to sort of wake it up.