Freeze tracks keeps using same audio track

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
digitiki
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Freeze tracks keeps using same audio track

Post by digitiki »

I have three MIDI instrument tracks (3 separete MIDI tracks using 3 different Kontakt instruments) that I am trying to FREEZE separately. I freeze one track, just fine to a stereo audio track. then I reselct the next MIDI track and Kontakt and Freeze again. The process replaces the first Freeze audio track--no matter what I do the track. What am I doing wrong? This seems like it should be a no-brainer but DP11 seems to insist I use only one audio track to freezing and keep reusing it over an dover.

Also, is there a way to freeze mutliple MIDI tracks to multiple audio tracks??
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Freeze tracks keeps using same audio track

Post by James Steele »

It sounds like DP isn’t “smart“ enough to differentiate the fact that you are using different MIDI source tracks for each pass of the same virtual instrument. You may have to do this manually, by creating an audio track, then bussing the output of the virtual instrument to the input of the audio track, and recording the part onto it. Then create a new audio track, enable a different MIDI track, and repeat.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
digitiki

Post by digitiki »

Yeah that seems to be the case. I've also resorted to a Bounce of just each track manually too. Would be a nice feature upgrade to have DP handle freezes better.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

digitiki wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:46 pm Yeah that seems to be the case. I've also resorted to a Bounce of just each track manually too. Would be a nice feature upgrade to have DP handle freezes better.
I imagine the "Freeze" function only takes into account the instance of the Virtual Instrument, and currently DP has no method to keep track of which MIDI track is targeting that VI. In a strange way it does make some sense. DP sees this as "Bounce this VI to audio." Not "Bounce this VI to audio, taking into account the play-enabled MIDI tracks targeting this VI at the time of this bounce."

You could see how that might get pretty complicated when you have multiple MIDI tracks targeting a VI that has multiple independent instruments loaded, each "listening" on a different MIDI channel. And it's possible you could have multiple MIDI tracks addressing just ONE of those instruments. So having the Freeze function be able to intelligently ascertain before doing a Freeze just which MIDI track(s) are enabled and which instruments in the VI they are addressing and then determining if that exactly combination has been used before and if so create a new take on an existing audio track, or create a new audio track... well the whole thing could be a major programming nightmare and introduce bugs. Who knows? Then what about redundancy? What if the combination is different, but there's some overlap, so some of the "Freeze" bounces will have the same part in them?

I dunno. Maybe it could be done, but I suspect because of all the pitfalls it opens up, it might take a lot of resources and not happen... at least anytime soon. Still, you you could suggest this to MOTU. Maybe they could think up some compromise that would make it more manageable.

I don't know if perhaps using the newer style Instrument Track and channelized MIDI tracks within the Instrument Track would provide better results. Honestly, it sounds like something I'd prefer to do manually anyway, as I wouldn't necessarily trust a DAW to get that right.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

Try this: After you freeze the first track, go to the new frozen audio track and create a new take. Then freeze the next track and it should go on the new take. Repeat for each MIDI part. Once done, go into your "Takes" menu and choose "turn takes into tracks" and select the "all" option. Now you should get a separate audio track for each frozen MIDI part. If this doesn't work, use the "turn takes into tracks" function after each freeze before proceeding to the next freeze.

Doug
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tidwells@aol.com wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:14 pm Try this: After you freeze the first track, go to the new frozen audio track and create a new take. Then freeze the next track and it should go on the new take. Repeat for each MIDI part. Once done, go into your "Takes" menu and choose "turn takes into tracks" and select the "all" option. Now you should get a separate audio track for each frozen MIDI part. If this doesn't work, use the "turn takes into tracks" function after each freeze before proceeding to the next freeze.
Nice! That seems like a great way to do this!

rdtguitar

Post by rdtguitar »

You could also use separate outputs run to busses in Kontakt etc. But when using various sounds and the same VI output I usually Freeze to audio and then Duplicate track. Then do the next one. A bit annoying but even quicker than the two step process of using multiple takes. btw DP has always done this as far back as DP5.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

This is been DP “works” for a long time. The way I do bouncing to disk, is to immediately duplicate the new track that was made in the bounce, and delete the original.DP loses track of the original, and on the next bounce, will bounce into a new track without erasing the first bounce that you copied
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc