I think maybe I need a UPS

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I think maybe I need a UPS

Post by James Steele »

So I've been doing so much tinkering with the new Mac Studio, I decided what I should do is reformat my 8TB Time Machine backup disk, and then start Time Machine over again. So I had about 2 hours left on this backup, and went around back behind my desk to check something and came around and my screen was blank. What the heck? Turns out I must have some how stepped on the main AC cable that goes to the wall outlet from my TrippLite power conditioner. Whatever I did was enough pull it out enough to break the connection and the Mac Studio (and everything else for that matter) immediately lost power.

Needless to say, when I rebooted, the were no visible files in the Finder on the Time Machine drive. Disk Utility showed, however, about 1TB of used space on the drive, but usually if you interrupt a backup in Time Machine properly, you will see files in the Finder, and the next backup can resume where you left off. Rather than take chances, I reformatted the 8TB drive and started the Time Machine backup all over again. Four hours to go, again.

But here's the lesson learned. If I can't make that cable more securely attached to the wall, I could have saved the hassle with the UPS. The moment it came out of the wall, a UPS would have started beeping at me and I could have plugged it back in. If I ONLY put the UPS on the Mac Pro and the monitors, that's good enough I figure. And yeah, haven't had a power outage in a long time, but probably good to be able to do a controlled shut down if that happens. Sigh. Mo' money... mo' money... mo' money...
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: I think maybe I need a UPS

Post by James Steele »

I decided to get this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FWAZEIU/

It will fit perfectly where there is currently a power strip on the ledge in the back of my studio desk and I'll plug the Mac Studio and some other devices like my main monitor and the UAD-2 Satellite into the battery backed up outlets.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I won't bother posting links to the ones I have but yes, a UPS is a really good idea. I spent about the same and am good for 20–30 minutes. Besides getting another for my wife's office, I also bought a small one for my router and DSL modem in another room. Internet lasts a few hours (but not overnight!).

I've had electrical work done over the last few months plus the occasional PG&E snafu and have been grateful that I can finish what I'm doing, Save and shut down when that happens. My side monitors are not plugged into it which gives me more time.

Hard part is convincing my wife that even though her Mac and the internet still work, she's on borrowed time when there's no juice. No complaining if she fails to pay attention.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

The hooked up the one I got and seems to be working well... except the indicator light on the back tells me I have a building wiring fault. Go figure. Been using this room for years, when I have time I'll take it to other rooms, but I'm pretty sure my regular outlet tester doesn't show any issue in here. Sigh. I can't afford to get an electrician out here to mess with it. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.