Sound at the BBC

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sound at the BBC

Post by bayswater »

Has anyone here done work at the BBC?

If you listen to music played on some BBC shows, you’ll notice it sometimes sounds quite different from the original. A good example is “Desert Island Discs”. We can assume they are not remixing existing songs, because people on that show can nominate any song they like. Pretty much impossible the Beeb could get the original tracks to any song and remix them.

But what they play won’t often sound like the original. Instead the separation of instruments is very pronounced, with instruments sometimes at extreme left and right, or even very much isolated in the middle, even when the same instruments are well separated, or not at all separated in the stereo field in the original. Hard to tell, but sometimes I even hear something akin to 3D using headphones. Other things I’ve noticed is reductions in reverb, and eq processing that enhances presence. Some of this is simple in theory, but clean reverb reduction at least isn’t that easy in practise.

Listen to almost any recent episode and you’ll probably notice it. In some cases it’s quite extreme, e.g. a recent episode that included a track by Mama Cass. The original mix was a but muddy — the DID version is very different, almost an entirely different recording.

I’m wondering what they do and what they use to do it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
EMRR

Re: Sound at the BBC

Post by EMRR »

interesting. I'd like to know more.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

For decades, tracks on BBC shows were lip sync'd but doing so to the original records was not allowed. The 2-CD set of The Beatles's BBC tracks are famous examples—all were recorded especially for the shows the day before or the morning of.

https://www.amazon.com/Live-At-BBC-2-CD ... 00F4BJ4M0/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:39 pm For decades, tracks on BBC shows were lip sync'd but doing so to the original records was not allowed. The 2-CD set of The Beatles's BBC tracks are famous examples—all were recorded especially for the shows the day before or the morning of.

https://www.amazon.com/Live-At-BBC-2-CD ... 00F4BJ4M0/
Yes, true, and you'll still see it happening on BBC TV. But it has little to do with the question.

I'm talking about radio shows where they play recordings, but do so with something that renders the audio in a very distinct way. On Desert Island Discs, for example, they, might play something recorded by Kiri Te Kanawa, and a bit of Beethoven from Academy of St Martin's, some Woodie Guthrie or Frank Sinatra. Not likely they re-recorded any of these.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8