Multiple Motu / multiple USB vs adat?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
gluontronic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Multiple Motu / multiple USB vs adat?

Post by gluontronic »

Hi there,

I have a motu ultralite avb.
I need more inputs.
I explored many options, USB mixers, etc. But I'm exploring the idea of multiple Motu too.

As far as I know, I think it is better to use two motu linked through adat VS two motu attached on the computer using 2 USB, is it right?

Actually, maybe I don't have any options. The motu ultralite avb have optical in out, but I don't see any way to use the word clock way to sync.
Am I wrong here? Should I have a word lock if I use optical in out?

Short question : do I have the option to link my motu ultralite avb to a new one like a motu ultralite mk5 I could buy to expand my setup?

Any options and opinions would be appreciated here 😀

Thanks a lot.

Julien
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Multiple Motu / multiple USB vs adat?

Post by CharlzS »

If wanting all MOTU, why not another AVB interface connected to your UltraLite AVB via ethernet? OTT, I use one of these with my 828es as an ADAT expander: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... one-preamp Inexpensive, decent quality, but limits you to 48k. All kinds of other ADAT possibilities out there.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If linking and connecting to a Mac, you’ll create an Aggregate Device. MOTU and Apple have support docs on this. You can daisy-chain or connect separately. An ADAT optical port is limited to 8 channels 44.1/48 or 4 channels at 88.1/96.

The MOTU manuals are online and go into depth on how to link and clock the various units.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gluontronic

Post by gluontronic »

Thanks for your answer.

I know about aggregate on core audio but was still asking myself about aggregating on core audio or using adat.

Avb side of things. With my m1, I need both usb AND ethernet just for setting up motu avb ultralite routing.. So the idea would be to get a mk5 linked to my computer through usb and the avb as a mk5 extension...
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

gluontronic wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:04 am Avb side of things. With my m1, I need both usb AND ethernet just for setting up motu avb ultralite routing.. So the idea would be to get a mk5 linked to my computer through usb and the avb as a mk5 extension...
Why do you need to have both USB and ethernet connected to the computer - you should be able to access Pro Audio Control with just USB. Is that a requirement of the M1 Mac drivers? I use an 828es with a Mac Mini on High Sierra with only a USB connection and have no issue accessing Pro Audio Control (same with PC via TB - no ethernet). The connections should look like this Ultralite AVB #1 connected via USB and then additional MOTU AVB device connected to #1 via ethernet. You could then control both devices via one Pro Audio control instance. If you have to have ethernet connected also to configure, you could be having permission issues with MOTU kernel extensions. There's should be a troubleshooting section in the manual re this.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I’ve used both arrangements with a variety of interfaces, including some older MOTU units. The USB option worked best. Sometimes, I got timing errors on channels routed between units over ADAT. Not big errors, but I could see in the waveforms the affected channel drifted slightly, and then, after a minute or so, snapped back into the correct location with a “click” to mark the spot. It was easy to edit out the click, but I never figured out why this happened.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you still have to connect via Ethernet to do firmware updates on many of the MOTU interfaces. I haven't had my 828es for very long, but it seems like that from the manual. Fortunately, I checked and my unit appears to have the latest firmware, so I haven't had to do that dance yet. :dance:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

James Steele wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:31 pm Correct me if I'm wrong, but you still have to connect via Ethernet to do firmware updates on many of the MOTU interfaces. I haven't had my 828es for very long, but it seems like that from the manual. Fortunately, I checked and my unit appears to have the latest firmware, so I haven't had to do that dance yet. :dance:
There are online and offline firmware updates (meaning the 828es is online via ethernet or offline). If the 828es is connected via ethernet to the internet, it can go look for and update the firmware from MOTU. If not, you can download the update from MOTU to the computer and update via USB connection. You can't update offline via a TB connection only, you would need to change the connection to USB or connect the es ethernet to your router. I am now connected via TB so I had to connect the ethernet to update the last time. Previously, I updated via USB. I hope that makes sense. I leave all cables USB, TB and ethernet connected to the es in the rack so I can change connections easily.