DP11 Barely Usable for Surround Projects [Again]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP11 Unusable for Surround Projects

Post by HCMarkus »

My pleasure, dix. Just got this back from MOTU:
Matt Batson has posted a response to your MOTU TechLink.

Thanks for connecting with us. We are aware of this bug and our engineers are currently investigating this for a fix.

Best,
Matt - MOTU
They've also confirmed others have reported an occasional crash I've been getting while running video in DP:

Thread 35 Crashed:: Source Reader Thread: Video

That one isn't a show-stopper, as it only happens now and then. :D
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dix wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:29 pm If you disable the surround track with automation before you assign the send DP doesn't crash, and doesn't crash on reenable.
Good info. Thanks!
dix

Post by dix »

Cool. The wording from Matt doesn't exactly instill confidence that a fix has been discovered, but it's progress at the very least. Thx!

...and I rarely don't run video. Let me know if you'd like me to test anything.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dewaard

Post by dewaard »

+1 Surround needs to be fixed a.s.a.p., also looking very forward to native Dolby Atmos support in DP.
dix

Post by dix »

No Atmos still, but thankfully DP11.2 fixes the surround automation bug just as JS and others said it would. Back to work! :)
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

Well, the exact same issues as described in my OP have crept back into DP. Frequent crash-on-open, and crash-on-buss assign for surround projects(always) has somehow again become a problem when using DP11.21 and 11.2 . Weird thing is that the issue had been resolved, and then started up again in the last couple of weeks. I noticed it on the current project I'm working on, and now all surround projects seem to be affected.

Surround projects do open eventually, sometimes after several attempts, and I've gone back to using the workaround I discovered before, of disabling tracks before assigning busses.

Anyone else experiencing this again? What does the fact that the issue came back on it's own, with nothing to do with an update tell us?

Thx!
HCMarkus

Re: DP11 Barely Usable for Surround Projects [Again]

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm not currently working in surround, dix, so can't chime in with any pertinent experience.

It is concerning that the issue was seemingly resolved, yet is once again rearing its ugly head. Does the issue seem related to project file size in any way? I don't recall whether you use multiple Chunks within a single Project File... if you do, have you tried splitting out into multiple Projects?
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
dix

Post by dix »

HCMarkus wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:20 pm I'm not currently working in surround, dix, so can't chime in with any pertinent experience.

It is concerning that the issue was seemingly resolved, yet is once again rearing its ugly head. Does the issue seem related to project file size in any way? I don't recall whether you use multiple Chunks within a single Project File... if you do, have you tried splitting out into multiple Projects?
The size of the project doesn't seem to be a factor. Both the projects I've tried are small short-film projects, with relatively low track counts. I even tried it on a brand new project, with only one track of audio. Assigning a send to a 5.1 destination on a track that has automation invoked a permanent beachball on that too :(
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dix wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:17 pmThe size of the project doesn't seem to be a factor. Both the projects I've tried are small short-film projects, with relatively low track counts. I even tried it on a brand new project, with only one track of audio. Assigning a send to a 5.1 destination on a track that has automation invoked a permanent beachball on that too :(
:( is right. I trust you have a Tech Link going with MOTU.

Sounds like you are not using an old template. That said, when I finish my current project, I will be rebuilding my template from scratch in DP 11. IIRC, my current template was put together in DP 9 and it has been noted 'round these parts that this can cause issues.

I'm actually thinking the new template will be set up to facilitate quick addition of new tracks with busing presets. I may use Clippings more. View options (which you helped me rediscover a while ago, thanks!) are great, but I'm getting tired of having lots of unused, disabled tracks in my projects.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
dix

Post by dix »

I trust you have a Tech Link going with MOTU.
I've created a TechLink now. I hadn't bothered to do another because support went dark the last time. However, what I believe may be a related issue has gotten much worse.

I have a surround project that consistently crashes on launch. Until now I've been able to get it open after a few tries, but now it seems to be virtually un-openable. It opens in MIDI-only mode no problem, but crashes as soon as plugins load when I enable MAS. I can't see anything remarkable in the crashed thread (Thread 0), but I have no idea what I'm looking for.
Sounds like you are not using an old template.
That is correct. Your advice to create a new one will be taken before I try to do any surround projects in DP for sure. In the mean time does anyone have any ideas. ...I tried Loading the sequence btw. No help.

Thanks