My Mac Studio is on the way… from China!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

Got an email tonight that my M1 Max Mac Studio looks like it will ship a week or so early! It was scheduled for 8/24 and according to the email I supine get it 8/17. UPS tracking says 8/15. Of course, as always, it’s arriving when I’m going to be very busy and not have much time with it.

What’s interesting to me is it appears it’s coming straight to me from Shenzhen, China. Probably because it’s customized with 64GB RAM and 2TB SSD. Even still I don’t know why I thought maybe Apple would warehouse them somewhere and then ship from California. I guess the shipments of the base model might come over on a ship, but looks like mine is being built and sent to me direct from the factory, or some intermediary in China.

I guess that’s how they do things today. Eager to get it though. I already moved my sample library to an external TB enclosure with 2TB NVMe drive in preparation for its arrival. Still haven’t gotten that MOTU 828es, but that’s next on my list.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
wylie1

Re: My Mac Studio is on the way… from China!

Post by wylie1 »

UPS lost my first one I had to wait for a credit to order another.
Tip: If you use FireFox you can copy your profile from your old Mac and it restores all your bookmarks and passwds.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

wylie1 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:17 amTip: If you use FireFox you can copy your profile from your old Mac and it restores all your bookmarks and passwds.
I use Brave and it will do the same thing also, so I'm good. :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

wylie1 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:17 am UPS lost my first one I had to wait for a credit to order another.
Tip: If you use FireFox you can copy your profile from your old Mac and it restores all your bookmarks and passwds.
And Chrome and Safari and…
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

FWIW: Other than my most recent MacBook, which I got from an Apple Store because my old one died while I was on a show, all my Macs have come to me direct from China.I think it's Apple's SOP these days.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Rick Cornish wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:08 am FWIW: Other than my most recent MacBook, which I got from an Apple Store because my old one died while I was on a show, all my Macs have come to me direct from China.I think it's Apple's SOP these days.
Mine came from Malaysia.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:08 am FWIW: Other than my most recent MacBook, which I got from an Apple Store because my old one died while I was on a show, all my Macs have come to me direct from China.I think it's Apple's SOP these days.
Interesting... it's been THAT long since I purchased a new Mac directly from Apple. I've bought a few used. I think my last direct Mac purchase from Apple was a refurbished MacPro1,1! I remember how much faster it seemed then my G5!! Hahaha!

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Migration Assistant and iCloud take care of a lot of stuff. Although I definitely wanted to do a clean App installation, IIRC, I used Migration Assistant to transfer Network settings and such.

PS: Woohoo! :dance:
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:40 pm Migration Assistant and iCloud take care of a lot of stuff. Although I definitely wanted to do a clean App installation, IIRC, I used Migration Assistant to transfer Network settings and such.

Yes, even if doing an otherwise clean install, I'll still use Migration Assistant to transfer my network settings.

My Studio choices have come down to two. One of them showed up in the Refurb Store but, before I could get into my office where payment info etc. is stored and order it, poof! it was gone. Had it still been there, I could have had it in two days.

For those of us with access to EDU pricing, Refurb Store is the same except for AppleCare+ which is a little less for EDU. There's a grace period for adding AppleCare after you receive your Mac.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:Migration Assistant and iCloud take care of a lot of stuff. Although I definitely wanted to do a clean App installation, IIRC, I used Migration Assistant to transfer Network settings and such.

Ahhh. I hadn’t used it in so long that I didn’t realize you could use Migration Assistant just for certain things. I definitely don’t want it moving apps, but network settings and even email would be nice.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:35 pm
HCMarkus wrote:Migration Assistant and iCloud take care of a lot of stuff. Although I definitely wanted to do a clean App installation, IIRC, I used Migration Assistant to transfer Network settings and such.

Ahhh. I hadn’t used it in so long that I didn’t realize you could use Migration Assistant just for certain things. I definitely don’t want it moving apps, but network settings and even email would be nice.
If you use the Apple Mail Client, I'm pretty sure emails will populate automatically.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:If you use the Apple Mail Client, I'm pretty sure emails will populate automatically.
I have been using POP instead of IMAP so not totally sure. About messages that have already been downloaded and not still on server. Not a big thing though. I still have everything that’s important I want to keep on office Mac.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I know my main monitor, 43” Samsung 4K TV will connect via HDMI.. What adapter will I need to connect my old 30” Cinema HD. I guess TB to Dual-Link DVI?

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:02 am I know my main monitor, 43” Samsung 4K TV will connect via HDMI.. What adapter will I need to connect my old 30” Cinema HD. I guess TB to Dual-Link DVI?
Apple has support documents on that.

As I recall, these run so hot to the touch that you may wish to think twice about keeping it. When I replaced my old 23" Studio Display, the energy savings paid for it in a few months—and the display looked a lot better.
James Steele wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:43 am
HCMarkus wrote:If you use the Apple Mail Client, I'm pretty sure emails will populate automatically.
I have been using POP instead of IMAP so not totally sure. About messages that have already been downloaded and not still on server. Not a big thing though. I still have everything that’s important I want to keep on office Mac.
Yes, POP?SMTP mail is stored locally.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah baby!!!
0384735E-5235-4FEA-AC62-F403BB627B10.jpeg
0384735E-5235-4FEA-AC62-F403BB627B10.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 982 times