Daisy chain/control 896MK3 with a Ultra Lite Hybrid?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
poowqnps
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Daisy chain/control 896MK3 with a Ultra Lite Hybrid?

Post by poowqnps »

Hello. I don't know if this is a dumb or far fetched question but:
Is it possible to somehow control/chain an 896MK3 Firewire from a Ultra Lite MK3 Hybrid?

The reason I am asking is that I have a fully working 896MK3 firewire that I am very happy with and especially appreciate for all its IN & OUTs, and that is really the heart of my studio. I would be very bummed to have to retire it. But my new computer does not have any firewire ports, nor does it have any spare PCI ports for a Firewire adapter card. (my previous solution) But I do have a Motu Ultralite MK3 and optical cables lying around.

I have been looking into solutions with external PCI enclosures (used for crypto mining computers afaik?) but they cost almost as much as a new soundcard and, judging from how delicate it is to find a working PCI firewire adapter that works with MOTU cards, I believe there would be plenty of room for disappointment within this solution.

I do understand that this question is just another variation of the classic & decade old "firewire card but no firewire ports" question I would very much appreciate if anyone have any ideas or input. Thank you very much!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Daisy chain/control 896MK3 with a Ultra Lite Hybrid?

Post by mikehalloran »

You should be able to do this—certainly can on a Mac—but how you set it up in Windows is something I can't answer. It's probably in the manual.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro