828es stops playing audio when GPU under load

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
meta-meta
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828es stops playing audio when GPU under load

Post by meta-meta »

I have the 828es on Windows 10. I've been experiencing this issue lately where audio goes silent. No errors, just no audio in or out. It seems to happen when my GPU is taxed, for instance when I share my screen on Discord.

Even with Host Buffer Size at 1024 and Safety Offset at 256 it still happens. The act of changing those will re-enable audio, probably because it resets the driver.

Is this behavior familiar to anyone else? I have an NVidia 3080 and I've set it to "prefer maximum performance" as well as the other suggestions here https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... dows-audio

I do have quite a long (15ft) USB cable connecting the 828es to my PC. This problem hasn't been an issue for me until a few months ago when I started working as a VR developer. It seems to happen most when the GPU is encoding video. Audio will also cut out for a split second sometimes when I alt+tab to a different window.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828es stops playing audio when GPU under load

Post by HCMarkus »

I'd contact MOTU and report your issue.

As a data point, I used my 828es with a 15' USB cable for several years without issue with my old Mac Pro.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

meta-meta wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:05 am It seems to happen most when the GPU is encoding video. Audio will also cut out for a split second sometimes when I alt+tab to a different window.
This might indicate a DPC/latency issue. Try running Latency Monitor to see what may be giving you difficulty. https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
The switching window dropout sounds like an interrupt service issue with the drivers. You can try switching slots for the video card and if you haven't already, try a separate usb card just for the es.

Your environment appears to be pretty demanding - gaming, screen sharing and audio. Bound to run into some glitches somewhere. The only time my 828es has gone silent is when another app messes with the sample rate and bit depth in the background. Maybe check into that.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
meta-meta

Post by meta-meta »

I forgot about LatencyMon! I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
try switching slots for the video card
Maybe if all else fails. I think the other slot available does not offer as many PCI-e lanes but I'm not sure. ASUS manuals are hard to interpret.
if you haven't already, try a separate usb card just for the es.
Yep I have 2 and it doesn't seem to make a difference which port I plug into whether one of the cards or any of the ports on my motherboard.
Your environment appears to be pretty demanding - gaming, screen sharing and audio. Bound to run into some glitches somewhere. The only time my 828es has gone silent is when another app messes with the sample rate and bit depth in the background. Maybe check into that.
I don't expect it to be without glitch, it's the audio going silent and not returning that's really a problem, especially when I don't notice because I start missing notifications and can't talk while screen sharing. I think you might be onto something with the bitrate. I noticed something trying to set my input to 48khz the other day but didn't have time to navigate the palimpsest of windows audio settings screens.

I'd contact MOTU and report your issue.
I will when I have the patience to get behind my rack and find the serial number :roll:
As a data point, I used my 828es with a 15' USB cable for several years without issue with my old Mac Pro.
I appreciate that. Helpful to know!