Issues adding external monitor w Big Sur/MacBook

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
funkyfreddy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Issues adding external monitor w Big Sur/MacBook

Post by funkyfreddy »

I'm embarrassed that I'm still having this issue.... but....

I'm tearing what's left of my hair out trying to get my MacBook Pro to recognize a second monitor... I've tried many thing and many times to get it to work but have failed so far.

I have a 16" 2019 MacBook running Mac OS Big Sur 11.2. I'm wondering if upgrading my OS to Monterrey would get rid of this issue. Is DP 11 working well with Monterrey?

Have any of you experienced this or know what might help? Thanks, Fred
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Issues adding external monitor w Big Sur/MacBook

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 11 works great over Monterey but I doubt that will fix whatever issue you are having with an external monitor. To eliminate that, you should update to MacOS 11.6 (or is it 11.7? An update was released last week) first. Likewise, there should be no problem with an external monitor.

Do reset the NVRAM and reset the SMC in case there’s an issue with the ports — those will be reset to default, always a good place to start.

This means that, if the OS update doesn’t fix it, we need to know more beginning with the monitor you are trying to connect and how.

The last MacOS update that caused external monitor problems was 10.13.4–6 and only with eGPU including DisplayLink. These issues were resolved in Mojave.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro