Mixing Faders don't work. (RESOLVED)

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
pulsepsycle
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Mixing Faders don't work. (RESOLVED)

Post by pulsepsycle »

Hello,
I'm new to MOTU so maybe this is an obvious question but I cannot find a topic about it.

I cannot get the faders to control the volume.
I have a LP32 connected to an 828ES by ethernet cable. The 828ES is connected to my computer by USB.
The routing I made is working. That is, the HPF, EQ etc. are but changing the faders don't change the volume in my DAW.

My routings:
Routing_LP32.PNG
Routing_LP32.PNG (99.53 KiB) Viewed 729 times
Routing_828ES.PNG
Routing_828ES.PNG (94.09 KiB) Viewed 729 times
The signal flow when playing a synth:
Routing_828ES_Synth.PNG
Routing_828ES_Synth.PNG (21.83 KiB) Viewed 729 times

I use Cubase Pro 12 as DAW.

Karel.
Win 10 x64, LP32, 828ES, AVB Switch, M-Audio Profire 2626 x 6, ESI M8U XL x 4, Cubase Pro 12, Ableton Live 11.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mixing Faders don't work.

Post by HCMarkus »

Hi Karel.

The AVB Mixer Faders will control your monitor mix exclusively when you route to your DAW Pre-Mixer, as it appears you have done. That's how I set my 828ES up, as I don't want the AVB Mixer Faders to affect DAW recording levels. I want to be able to adjust the monitor mix independently, as I use the AVB Mixer to feed performers near zero latency individual mixes when tracking.

If you wish, you can assign AVB Mixer Outputs to your DAW, and thus control levels sent to the DAW with the AVB Mixer. Do that in the AVB Routing Tab... scroll over to the far right to "Mix Post-FX" and use the little expand triangles at the top of each area to expose all the channels.

The AVB Matrix is powerful, but can certainly be confusing. I set mine up over two years ago to provide five discrete monitor mixes via an ADAT Optical Out, external reverb send and return via SPDIF, separate Click bus, and stereo and 5.1 surround monitoring. With the exception of a few minor tweaks, I haven't needed to revisit it since.

I hope you soon have your interfaces set up to perfection!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
pulsepsycle

Post by pulsepsycle »

Thank you for the explanation!

As you can see I already set it up the way you described.

What I don't understand is why I can hear the HPF cutting off low frequencies and the effect of the EQ in my DAW. But not the faders! Whatever the position the volume stays the same. Do I have to activate something somewhere?
Otherwise, for the time being, I'll stick to this routing.

Routing_828ES_MixPostFX.PNG
Routing_828ES_MixPostFX.PNG (83.04 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Win 10 x64, LP32, 828ES, AVB Switch, M-Audio Profire 2626 x 6, ESI M8U XL x 4, Cubase Pro 12, Ableton Live 11.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'd post your question at MOTU.com in a Techlink... the way you have it set up, it would appear the faders should control the levels going to your DAW. Since I've always used the AVB Mixer only for monitoring purposes, I've never first-hand dealt with the situation you are trying to set up.

Taking a look at the very back of the 828ES manual; there is a schematic which, although not clearly labeled, makes it appear there is an option to send to the DAW pre or post fader. I've never looked for that option, but maybe there is a pre- post-fader switch somewhere.

I'm sure MOTU can assist/explain. Good luck!

Let me add that setting levels at the preamps works perfectly for me; I monitor levels using my DAW's metering to make sure levels are proper when recording, then balance playback levels in the DAW mixer. Unless you are recording multiple instruments to a single track, I'm not sure why you'd want to use the AVB Mixer faders to adjust recording levels. Maybe I'm missing something here...
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:28 am Let me add that setting levels at the preamps works perfectly for me; I monitor levels using my DAW's metering to make sure levels are proper when recording, then balance playback levels in the DAW mixer. Unless you are recording multiple instruments to a single track, I'm not sure why you'd want to use the AVB Mixer faders to adjust recording levels. Maybe I'm missing something here...
Same here. Setting gain staging in your outboard gear along with trimming the analog inputs would be the approach. Not sure, but I don't think you can get a post fader signal 'to computer' without routing everything through an Aux channel. That would be a fairly complex setup.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
pulsepsycle

Post by pulsepsycle »

Thanks for pointing out the Mixer Schematic! On Pages 115 + 116 it shows why the faders don't work on the Post FX busses. The Faders are after those busses. I'm glad it's sorted out now. Thank you both. :D :D Now I can setup my DAW's
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

pulsepsycle wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:16 am Thanks for pointing out the Mixer Schematic! On Pages 115 + 116 it shows why the faders don't work on the Post FX busses. The Faders are after those busses. I'm glad it's sorted out now. Thank you both. :D :D Now I can setup my DAW's
I'll mark this one "RESOLVED"
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!