UltraLite MK3 not working in Win 11

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
alby54
Primary DAW OS: Windows

UltraLite MK3 not working in Win 11

Post by alby54 »

I'm running Win 11 Pro on a Ryzen 9 5900X, MB Gigabyte X570 Auros Elite, Rtx 3070, 32GB RAM 3600Mhz. If I connect the mk3 via firewire the PC keeps rebooting, otherwise, via USB it is stable but no audio (no incoming visible signal on the display). I've updated firmware with the latest release but no change. I actually don't know if the problem can be solved, obviously I wish it could be, I'm also looking into a more recent MOTU interface but I must be sure it's going to work with my setup. Any clue? Thanks.

Alby54
CharlzS

Re: UltraLite MK3 not working in Win 11

Post by CharlzS »

alby54 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:58 am via USB it is stable but no audio (no incoming visible signal on the display)
It's recognized in the Device Manager when connected via USB? If yes, you've set as the default output device in the Sound Control Panel or the output device in the app you're using? When firewire connected, what firewire chipset on the computer? Have you tried installing and using the Legacy firewire driver? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 35ea06c5fe
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Neither Intel nor AMD have supported FireWire — not once, not ever. I can’t imagine going down that rabbit hole with a Ryzen.

Because the UltraLite mk3 is no longer supported, MOTU does not list all the drivers that might work with it (tons of threads already complaining about that). Fortunately, we know where to find them. Your unit uses the MOTU Audio Installer (not the MOTU Pro Audio Installer). You will find the latest versions by going to https://motu.com/en-us/download/ and looking for the drivers for the 828mk3 Hybrid. Try this one and see if it fixes you up.
MOTU Audio Installer
PC v89606 | Oct. 5, 2021
Windows 11, Windows 10 64-bit
If that doesn’t do it, try a USB 2 powered hub. USB 2 and USB 3 are separate protocols with only a ground in common. This is an old issue where a powered USB 2 hub is the fix. I’d buy from Amazon so you can kick it back if you need.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
SacculusCasout

Post by SacculusCasout »

The Firewire link post here is for windows 8 not 11 and I have a pci slot card with TI chipset and it works except a big detail is that it's impossible to monitor the main out separately from the headphones out on the box. After 2 support videos Im still unable to do this simple task. Im thinking about switching to a AU volt (the one with 2 headphones output) or in the while using another output to route it to my headphone jack but I must know before if the ext outputs avaible is the same as the headphones because I use a 240 Ohm headphones and don't wan't to mess with this!
There is drivers compatible with win 11 for theses ultralite mk3
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

SacculusCasout wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:16 am The Firewire link post here is for windows 8 not 11 and I have a pci slot card with TI chipset and it works except a big detail is that it's impossible to monitor the main out separately from the headphones out on the box. After 2 support videos Im still unable to do this simple task. Im thinking about switching to a AU volt (the one with 2 headphones output) or in the while using another output to route it to my headphone jack but I must know before if the ext outputs avaible is the same as the headphones because I use a 240 Ohm headphones and don't wan't to mess with this!
There is drivers compatible with win 11 for theses ultralite mk3
Again, this is the only Win 10/11 compatible driver for the Ultralite mk3. It is found at motu.com/downloads listed under the 828mk3 Hybrid drivers.
MOTU Audio Installer
PC v89606 | Oct. 5, 2021
Windows 11, Windows 10 64-bit
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Aszazin

Post by Aszazin »

Windows 11 with the Ultralite mk3 is hell.
After I purchased a new PC and later an mk3 second hand, it quickly seemed the drivers were under optimal.

Fortunately I bought it at a good shop with good support, I could return the mk3 and I went for the mk5 new.
Now everything runs as it should be. Butter smooth, no issues.

It's a bit disturbing the mk3 is still available new, while it simply will never work properly with newer Windows systems, MOTU should really mention this on their website. I spend a month long all my free time, which I actually wanted to use to make music, with trying different things. But in the end it was clear: the drivers were never optimised for win11 (and probably the same for win10). They never will be optimised, the interface is over a decade old.

I guess Mac users are better off. It is a very good interface, I would advice it to anyone looking for an interface on an older windows system (Win7, forget about win8, that's crap, and they know it, that's why win9 was cancelled), or using Mac. Otherwise go for the Mk4 or Mk5.
MK5 & Mk3 sound a bit different. But both sound really good, as we're all used to from MOTU products.
Mk5 works with Cuemix5, which is really sweet. The version with the Mk3 tries to look like a piece of hardware, Cuemix 5 is really designed for use on screens, which is what we do with software.