Grace M900

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Grace M900

Post by bayswater »

I’ve never been happy with the D/A path on the converters I’ve had. Thought about getting an M2 for monitoring, but the long thread on the M2 and M4 with all the problems cited put me off that. So, now I’m wondering about using the Grace M900 for D/A. Anyone have one? And is it markedly better than the bog standard MOTU and Focusrite stuff?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Re: Grace M900

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:41 pm I’ve never been happy with the D/A path on the converters I’ve had. Thought about getting an M2 for monitoring, but the long thread on the M2 and M4 with all the problems cited put me off that. So, now I’m wondering about using the Grace M900 for D/A. Anyone have one? And is it markedly better than the bog standard MOTU and Focusrite stuff?
It's not using the Cirrus chip sets that are powering so much of what is out there.
The m900 DAC uses the latest generation AKM 4490 chip, which features 32-bit processing and supports sample rates up to 384kHz PCM or 256x DSD. The USB interface operates in asynchronous mode allowing the m900 to be the clock master which makes the system immune to USB bus jitter. S/PDIF and Toslink inputs allow the m900 to enhance to any DAW interface with true reference quality D/A conversion, headphone monitoring and stereo speaker control.
Whether you will hear all of this wonderfulness is not something I can answer.

Most of the M2 functionality is missing so that's not an issue. -10 RCA, optical, USB inputs only. Can run bus or powered hub depending on the Voltage requirements of your headphones which eliminates some issues.

It would be interesting to A/B against my other headphone amps but not willing to shell out the Dough for the Do-Re-Mi to find out.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
tremo

Post by tremo »

Don't know how far your budget will stretch, but the RME ADI-2 DAC FS is on sale until the end of August -- marked down from $1299 to $999. I'm researching it now, and it's very highly regarded. I'm trying to figure out if it would be a big step up for critical mix work from the DA in my 828es (which, like the RME, uses an ESS DAC chip). Can't seem to find anyone online who's directly compared the two.

https://www.rme-usa.com/adi-2-dac.html
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.4.1 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 10.8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I’m fine with the A/D I have. Oddly, when I output to a file or disc I can play back on the high end system, things sound great. When I play back through the Focusrite or MOTU converters, not so great. I have a Tascam that sounds great in both directions, but it’s 18 bit, so not easy to use on tracks wth a great range. Other advice I got elsewhere is that the Grace through Senn 650s is about as good as it’s going to get without a very large expense.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8