Monterey 12.6 (was: Monterey 12.5)

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

nk_e
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Monterey 12.5

Post by nk_e »

Following (as I have a couple of things using CodeMeter)…

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

nk_e wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:24 am Following (as I have a couple of things using CodeMeter)…
If you search CodeMeter on this board, you will see the problems that I experienced with an older run time. Had I not gone through every app and 3rd party license to make sure they were up to date, I never would have found the problem. Apple wanted to replace my SSDs or iMac Pro under warranty—which wouldn't have fixed anything since Time Machine would have put it back.

Antares, SSL Duende and others use this. It is imperative that the CodeMeter Run Time be kept up to date. You can download the latest, 7.40b (4-14-2022), here:
https://www.wibu.com/us/support/user/do ... tware.html

Antares has an older version, 7.30 on their site.

On the Mac, the installer overwrites the older version. Install, reboot, done. Once I did, everything went back to normal.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mhschmieder wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:58 pm Just to clarify, as the performance issues aren't DP related. Everything takes forever to load, even after lots of Unix-level hacking after much research at my end. It usually takes 20-30 minutes after a reboot before I can use my computer, and often longer. Emails take eons to load content. I even killed ¾ of my browser tabs, with little improvement. Often I can't use desktop icons and have to go to the Applications folder in the Finder to double-click an app to launch it. Little things can mysteriously freeze up my computer completely, with no mouse or keyboard events processed (e.g. no way to Quit). Occasional instant computer crashes as well. Yet all diagnostics show memory and other hardware has no issues.
Those are the classic symptoms of your Launch Services needing rebuilding. I first discovered this after a High Sierra Security Update when none of my Macs would shut down and reboot properly. In 2020, Apple wanted to replace my 14 Core iMac Pro when it was taking 20 minutes to shut down and 25 to boot—until I thought, "What the hell, can't hurt anything…" and ran it.

Reset Launch Services

1. Open Terminal and run these commands:

2. /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network <Enter or Return key>
3. killall Dock <Enter or Return key>
4. sudo mdutil -E / <Enter or Return key> (enter Admin password when prompted, then <Enter or Return key>)

5. Restart your Mac
Last edited by mikehalloran on Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thanks for the input, all. I Did the update today and had a heart stopping moment when I got an error on restart that said my system extensions needed to be rebuilt. I checked the security pane and everything looked the same; My MOTU driver was checked which was the most important thing. I closed the window and got a restart prompt. The machine started 3 times, and on the final boot everything seems normal.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Updated yesterday. So far, all is good.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks Mike, I'm pretty sure that all helped, but as I did the 12.5 update right afterwards (last night), and that took many hours, I may need to run the Terminal command again before I shut down for the evening. I was too tired last night to do a third reboot for a thorough check, or to re-run the Terminal command (not fast, but not super-long to execute either).

I did the other upgrade mentioned as well, but was unable to check status beforehand as it didn't work for some reason, but I felt safe enough running it anyway. It might affect me as I briefly owned an SSL interface and it came with some software. I couldn't tell if it's used by iLok or not.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mhschmieder wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:06 pm Thanks Mike, I'm pretty sure that all helped, but as I did the 12.5 update right afterwards (last night), and that took many hours, I may need to run the Terminal command again before I shut down for the evening. I was too tired last night to do a third reboot for a thorough check, or to re-run the Terminal command (not fast, but not super-long to execute either).

I did the other upgrade mentioned as well, but was unable to check status beforehand as it didn't work for some reason, but I felt safe enough running it anyway. It might affect me as I briefly owned an SSL interface and it came with some software. I couldn't tell if it's used by iLok or not.
You don't have to Reset Launch Services before or during the upgrade — unless your Mac never shuts down as happened to me a few years ago.

It resets them to Default as Apple intended. Worst case—you don't notice a change but your complaint about extremely slow shut down or restart (or both) is the condition that this fixes.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks Mike, that's what I figured, and shutdown plus startup are much faster now. The first startup was slightly slow but that's because updates usually defer some things for the next reboot.,
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Just want to add in here, 12.5 fixes a nasty honestly unacceptable bug in 12.4 and below where certain USB-C enclosures and hubs would just disappear after a couple minutes. I recently threw my old NVME drive into such an enclosure and it crashed and disappeared until I updated to 12.5.

Would be nice if Apple noted this sort of thing in their release notes, but it's random enough to where people probably thought their drive was dying. I only knew it was the OS because it mounted and worked fine on the USB 3 card installed in the Mac Pro here. That, and a couple dozen threads on places like Mac Rumors pointing it out.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Michael Canavan wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:48 pm Just want to add in here, 12.5 fixes a nasty honestly unacceptable bug in 12.4 and below where certain USB-C enclosures and hubs would just disappear after a couple minutes. I recently threw my old NVME drive into such an enclosure and it crashed and disappeared until I updated to 12.5.

Would be nice if Apple noted this sort of thing in their release notes, but it's random enough to where people probably thought their drive was dying. I only knew it was the OS because it mounted and worked fine on the USB 3 card installed in the Mac Pro here. That, and a couple dozen threads on places like Mac Rumors pointing it out.
I'm still having some USB 3 Disk Ejected Improperly errors. Very irregular. Happens with cheepo Sabrent enclosures of Samsung SSDs.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Michael Canavan

cuttime wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:12 pm I'm still having some USB 3 Disk Ejected Improperly errors. Very irregular. Happens with cheepo Sabrent enclosures of Samsung SSDs.
IMO this is a big egg in the face of Apple. They're going with these long lasting internal drives, but people like us are going to need more than that for what we do. This isn't a truly new issue, I had USB 3 mounted Sabrent enclosures that would randomly glitch, normally they wouldn't unmount, just pop up a message that they did, so they must've momentarily unmounted etc. Mostly due to an early Mojave era issue of drives crashing when the computer went to sleep. I have two USB 3 Sabrent enclosures with a Samsung Evo and a Sandisk in the other. They don't unmount. Apple randomly recognizes and doesn't recognize various enclosures. :smash:

This is a win for Windows here, it unmounts drives if they lose connection automatically, which means unstable connections whether due to cheap enclosures or OS issues will not corrupt the resource forks in the drive etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

Just to add to this, the Mac Pro has a WD 4TB ssd Sandisk attached to it that holds my sample libraries, which of course did not mount upon startup of the Pro.. this is Mojave. Seriously, Macs are great, but Apples support for peripheral drives sucks.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:09 pm Just to add to this, the Mac Pro has a WD 4TB ssd Sandisk attached to it that holds my sample libraries, which of course did not mount upon startup of the Pro.. this is Mojave. Seriously, Macs are great, but Apples support for peripheral drives sucks.
I had problems with drives disconnecting when i first got the 2018 mini. The advice was to alter the physical arrangement to find a stable pattern. Moving the wall powered drives as far as possible from the mac and the bus powered drives as far as possible from the mouse did it. No problems since I did that. Not to excuse apple though. They should do better.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Has Apple really fixed this?

I've been seeing these disconnect problems for USB since my G5. Only hubs and drives; never direct connections. Worst are USB 3, 3.1, 3.2 over USB-C — I have a drawer with a collection of drive docks and hubs with this issue. Normally, when I post a caution about this in Time Machine threads, I get a chorus of "never happened to me". Good for you guys, I suppose.

Actual, honest to gosh Thunderbolt 3 gives me no grief at all. Neither does TB1/2 through Apple's TB3 adapter. I have a couple drives in an old OWC TB2 dock through an adapter and can hook up my 828mkII FW to that dock or through a couple adapters without a problem. TB3 is spec'd 40Gbps or rated 2800 Mbps—everything rated slower is not including so-called TB3 Compatible externals that are really USB 3.1, 3.2 version 2 or actual 3.2. some claim those work but I've been burned too often to try.

Same goes for my Time Machine drives and TM docks over Ethernet — absolutely rock solid — eSATA likewise.

Since updating to Monterey 12.5, I'll pull this out of a drawer and try it again. Got tired of reaching behind my iMac Pro, pulling out the cable with two fingers and reconnecting to get it working again. I can use the forward facing ports so it will be great if it actually works, now. I'll know soon enough.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788 ... =UTF8&th=1
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 2.30.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 2.30.30 PM.png (457.79 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Michael Canavan

Good luck Mike, all I know is the Sandisk USB-C drive wouldn't work hooked to a USB3 7 port dock, an OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock etc. but now it does. Again, it's fine on Mojave on the Mac Pro with a Sonnet USB3 PCIe card installed, well, except for the whole not showing up at start, unplug and plug back in thing.. :roll: