Recommendations for stable OS with 9.52

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
timsmolens
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recommendations for stable OS with 9.52

Post by timsmolens »

I know I am a dinosaur running DP 9.52 on an imac 10.13.6 intel core i7. I had an issue with AU plugs not working a few months ago and MOTu tech had me upgrade to at least 10.13.6 which I am at now. It is working pretty well but my DP files become corrupt often and I do a lot of save as. i suspect this is the OS because it was not happening before I switched to this OS. Does anyone have a memory of what their most stable pre-Catalina OS was for 9.52?

thanks,
Tim
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Recommendations for stable OS with 9.52

Post by James Steele »

Sorry nobody got to this after all this time. It sometimes happens... this is a user run board. We're not MOTU employees obviously. I wish I had something better to offer, but it almost sounds as you have some sort of disk corruption thing going on. Have you run Disk Utility and tried to repair the disk? I don't remember what OS was current when DP 9.52 was released. That said, you're on High Sierra which I thought overall was a pretty good release. Maybe someone else will chime in... perhaps you solved this by now (most likely)?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

a lot of your post doesn’t make any sense to me. The first build of DP 8 and the first build of Mavericks had real compatibility issues. There is an OS where you have to verify the license with 9.x — is that Mojave (it’s been a few years)?

You mention DP files being corrupted after switching to 9.52. I did have that problem but it had absolutely nothing to do with the MacOS. The cause was corrupted audio file headers. I posted extensively about it at the time.

Please describe the problem exactly. “corrupt DP files” without qualification tells us nothing.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

timsmolens wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:31 pm I know I am a dinosaur running DP 9.52 on an imac 10.13.6 intel core i7. I had an issue with AU plugs not working a few months ago and MOTu tech had me upgrade to at least 10.13.6 which I am at now. It is working pretty well but my DP files become corrupt often and I do a lot of save as. i suspect this is the OS because it was not happening before I switched to this OS. Does anyone have a memory of what their most stable pre-Catalina OS was for 9.52?

thanks,
Tim
IIRC, 9.52 still worked with OS X 10.6 and that was the most stable OS I’ve had. When I was using an i7 iMac with 9.52 it was running 10.13.6 and never had issues anything like those you mention. As Mike says, it probably has nothing to do with the OS version you have.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Guess I'm a 'dinosaur' as well!

I found DP 9.52 to be very unstable for my system. That just might be your problem (?).

Now, I'm using DP 11.11 on my old 2009 MacPro (with 5,1 upgrade) with OSX High Sierra 10.13.6. (I still have the original stock video card on the machine.) And, I have duplicate software on a 2015 MacBook Pro.

I've had to replace things over time like the power system, and have added PCI-USB3 capabilities. SSD drives for everything.

Everything is better than ever! No problems. I use Wave, iZotope, and other good 3rd party plugins just fine.

I don't require massive templates, as I set up DP tracks differently for every project I do. So, I don't need a brand new super computer. Someday I'll get another used MacPro that's a bit more 'modern', but as long as DP runs on High Sierra I'm good, and as long as Sibelius works on it that's fine for me.

And...I'm continuously grateful to the smarter-than-me people here at MOTUnation for advice and solution over the years!

Listen to the advice you find here, and all should be well.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com