828 Strange Days No Direct MIDI Control?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
AGM
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828 Strange Days No Direct MIDI Control?

Post by AGM »

Am I right in thinking that while you can control Cue Mix from a MIDI hardware controller, you cannot control an 828 (mine is a Mark III) directly from a MIDI hardware controller?Given that MOTU is a deeply MIDI company, that seems kind of strange to me, would be great to use the 828 is a simple mixer without the computer attached.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828 Strange Days No Direct MIDI Control?

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI certainly works in stand-alone mode on a 828mk3. You aren't telling us what you need it to do, however.

Searchable pdf files are your friend. Control f and input MIDI. Scroll through the 75 listings and see if what you are trying to do shows up.
https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firew ... al_Win.pdf
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

AGM wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:02 am Am I right in thinking that while you can control Cue Mix from a MIDI hardware controller, you cannot control an 828 (mine is a Mark III) directly from a MIDI hardware controller?Given that MOTU is a deeply MIDI company, that seems kind of strange to me, would be great to use the 828 is a simple mixer without the computer attached.
I don't know that there are any audio interfaces that can be controlled by HUI/MCU/OSC connected directly to the interface without a computer. If you know of any, please list. I can see how that might be helpful in certain scenarios.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
AGM

Post by AGM »

I'd like to use the 828 as a simple mixer under MIDI control without a computer. So my partner has a gig at the Albert Hall coming up. Two mics, stereo feed of the band, stereo replay and some cue mixes to the presenters, producer etc. Now tucking the 828 under your arm with just a MIDI controller is quite a nice solution. No mention of this possibility in the manual.

To the second question interfaces that offer this. My RME micstasy offers this, pain to programme my Kenton Freak but eventually managed it with help. I suppose the Micstasy isn't really an interface so I'm stumped there.

ta

AGM