Plugin Rack / Host

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Plugin Rack / Host

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:28 am I've used Directional EQ as one of my transcription-secret-weapons. It doesn't always work as I expect, but it allows me to hear things in a mix I wouldn't otherwise be able to find.
Interesting. How wide are the “angles”? E.g if you boost 10K at 30 degrees, I assume it boosts less at angle higher or lower than 30 degrees. What sort of curve does it apply? I don’t see a control for that.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I don't think it works in the predictable way you expect. (I suppose similar to how Mid-Side processing often doesn't work the way one might expect it to).

In my work, I would use the solo & pan functions to "look at" different points in the panosphere, but it was never quite what I was expecting from the mix-- it was way more random.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

dewdman42 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:44 am its not really abandonare per say, they have been updating it a few times in the past year or two, but its not really something they are actively trying to sell as a software product, they are bundling it together with their keyboards. You can still buy it, but it's just not Akai's focus. Their MPC software gets more focus then VIP does, but even that is associated with hardware too.
Akai is owned by InMusic, FWIW I don't think this completely kills them, but they experience the NI issue, where they accrue lots of technical debt and take forever to turn around when hit with new features people want or need. For instance you're right the MPC is doing better than VIP, the MPC is already Appel Silicon ready, but it has yet to get to VST3. AU is cool and all but the big advantage of VST in general is the way it works for MIDI out from a VSTi VS the Logic AU way. The MPC 2 plugin could be put in a DAW, play it's drum etc. parts, and send MIDI to another track with an instrument etc. on it. VIP is not Apple Silicon native, and no VST3 support, so I'm not sure what that says for it's lifespan? It's possible it gets Apple Silicon and VST3 support with an upgrade around the same time that the MPC finally gets VST3 support? or it gets deprecated, since there are plenty of other solutions for hosting plugins with a browser.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

They are also able to sell MPC expansion packs...

anyway, VIP can be had for cheap if you keep an eye out for sales. They have a Plus version now that bundles all the AIR instruments into it, but the non-plus version can be had occasionally for cheap and its still pretty cool.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:12 pm I don't think it works in the predictable way you expect. (I suppose similar to how Mid-Side processing often doesn't work the way one might expect it to).

In my work, I would use the solo & pan functions to "look at" different points in the panosphere, but it was never quite what I was expecting from the mix-- it was way more random.
OK thanks. It looks interesting, and does things other EQs can’t. From what you say it seems it will pinpoint items and that’s what I was getting at. I’ll get this and play around with it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8