AudioMovers and SonoBus

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

AudioMovers and SonoBus

Post by HCMarkus »

You may have heard of AudioMovers ListenTo App...

https://audiomovers.com/wp/

They offer a very nice service for $100/Year with which a studio can stream high fidelity audio in real time to clients who simply point their browsers to a web address that broadcasts audio from a plugin inserted on the studio's master bus.

I've used the ListenTo plugin within DP effectively, but it is not something I need to do day in and day out, so I did a little research and got pointed to SonoBus, a free/shareware App/Plugin that allows one to stream audio to clients. It is a winner!

https://www.sonobus.net/index.html#

SonoBus provides both a Plugin (AU/VST/AAX) and an Application. I tested the AU Plugin this evening on my Mac Studio running DP11.11 and it worked perfectly on my Monitor Bus. The downside to SonoBus (relative to ListenTo) is clients must install the App on their computers (to enable peer to peer sharing), but installation is super quick and setup simple. Audio quality is selectable; I tested .wav 48k 24 bit today without issue. Groups are set up by user-selected name and can be password-protected.

SonoBus also supports bi-directional audio, but the latency issues inherent to the Internet make live "jamming" problematic IMO. Songs suggests that it is feasible if participants have good gear and connections and live within about 500 miles of each other. Speed of light issues and all that. That said, recordings can certainly be made and synced after the fact.

I will probably just keep using it with Zoom for Visuals and Discussion on a separate laptop whenever I do remote sessions.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31