Qucklook previews of images and PDFs gone after clean install/ migration

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

ghobish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Qucklook previews of images and PDFs gone after clean install/ migration

Post by ghobish »

After some system instability, decided it was time to back up the boot drive (happens every night automatically anyway), do a clean install of Mojave 10.14.6 (from a fresh download) and migrate my installations from the backup. Mostly went fine, jumped through all the security access/ driver install hoops, etc.

However, the preview icons for PNG, JPG etc image files are gone, replaced by generic icons, and QuickLook (i.e., press the space bar for a preview) no longer provides me with a preview of the file. Neither does Quicklook let me preview PDF files. When I try, I just get a window with the generic icon.

Quicklook seems to be working fine with audio files and text files.

Did some online research- subsequently emptied caches, re-indexed Spotlight, one or two other things that haven't worked.

Running a 2010 McPro 5,1 flashed to 2012, 12-core 3.33GHz Xeon, 80GB Ram.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
bayswater

Re: Qucklook previews of images and PDFs gone after clean install/ migration

Post by bayswater »

Could it be a matter of waiting for the system to trundle through all the files and generate the icons? Like the way it spends a day indexing for searches.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

I doubt it. It's been 3 days.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Do a Safe Boot by shutting down and holding the Shift key on start up. Release the Shift key and Log in when prompted. Wait till all of the alias icons rebuild. Reboot.

Besides restoring caches and System paths to default, this rebuilds the desktop and was called that in OS 9 and earlier. I had to do that a lot after Mojave installs. The normal symptom that this needs to be done is generic alias icons.

If this doesn’t do it, you may have to re-link the aliases. Right-click and fix the path when prompted or create a new one and drag to the location you want.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Thanks Mike, that makes sense and will give it a try. Note these aren't (necessarily) aliases, they are actual files on the desktop (and it's not only desktop files that suffer from this.

(Also note- I sometimes have a problem doing a safe boot on this machine, possibly because it has a flashed NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (metal capable so I can run Mojave on this machine). Thanks again for the tip.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Yes, like I was afraid, safe boot gets me all the way to the end of the progress bar but never actually finishes loading… Maybe one of the available system utilities would let me get under the hood and rebuild the desktop? Or maybe there is a system file I can delete (while booted from a backup) that might accomplish the same thing?
bootprogress.jpg
bootprogress.jpg (44.45 KiB) Viewed 817 times
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I wonder if Onyx has a rebuild desktop function. There are quite a few maintenance & cleaning commands in there. If you can do a nice big backup before you run it, that's probably smart. Note, there are different versions of the Onyx utility for most Mac OS versions.

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Yes, I'm familiar with Onyx (and its pitfalls!). It's been so long since I've used it I couldn't remember its name! Will give it a try.

Again, Quicklook works with text and audio files, just not with images, movies or PDFs.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Onyx is nothing but a set of APIs for the MacOS. It can be more convenient than key commands and Terminal but it brings nothing to the table which is why I never use it. If Safe Boot with the Shift key down doesn’t work, Safe Boot in Onyx can’t either.

Don’t get me wrong—I don’t dislike it. I’ve made a lot of money rebuilding or restoring systems totally screwed up by Onyx in the hands of those who don’t know what they are doing.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Don’t get me wrong—I don’t dislike it. I’ve made a lot of money rebuilding or restoring systems totally screwed up by Onyx in the hands of those who don’t know what they are doing.
:lol:
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, Mike H. Thankfully, I've heeded your previous warnings/comments about Onyx. I didn't sufficiently pass on those warnings. I'm glad you chimed in about it.

Onyx is often reached for in desperation...
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

ghobish wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:34 pm Thanks Mike, that makes sense and will give it a try. Note these aren't (necessarily) aliases, they are actual files on the desktop (and it's not only desktop files that suffer from this.

(Also note- I sometimes have a problem doing a safe boot on this machine, possibly because it has a flashed NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (metal capable so I can run Mojave on this machine). Thanks again for the tip.
So I was (after running down many unsuccessful rabbit holes in Terminal) finally able to reboot in safe mode- it just took an extraordinarily long time (I weighted down the shift key, went to a long dinner and upon my return, a login screen! Yay, of sorts. Unfortunately it changed/ fixed nothing. Logged in, waited a bit for icons to rebuild, nothing. Unless there's another suggestion (now that I know I can boot in safe mode), great but at this point I'm ready to just install a clean system on a clean disk and test it before doing a migration...
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca