Latency problems in DP11???

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
deckard1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Latency problems in DP11???

Post by deckard1 »

Hello,

I'm relatively new to DP having migrated over from Logic Pro very recently. Would like to make DP11 my permanent DAW.

Can anyone here think of a reason why there would be terrible latency at a buffer setting of 64 samples in DP11...yet, unnoticeable latency with the same settings in Logic Pro?

Thanks.
DP 11.11 | 15" MacBook Pro (Mid-2012)| i7 | 16GB RAM | OS X 10.15.7 (Catalina) | Apogee Jam 96k
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Latency problems in DP11???

Post by James Steele »

deckard1 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:37 am Hello,

I'm relatively new to DP having migrated over from Logic Pro very recently. Would like to make DP11 my permanent DAW.

Can anyone here think of a reason why there would be terrible latency at a buffer setting of 64 samples in DP11...yet, unnoticeable latency with the same settings in Logic Pro?
Umm... short answer, no. I wish I could give a better answer but there's not enough information here. Where are yu hearing latency? Monitoring audio? The response of a virtual instrument? If so, what virtual instrument? As you said yourself, there's not "logical" explanation. Might depend how you are monitoring? Are perhaps monitoring an live audio input through a record-enabled audio track as opposed to an aux track? I've had that happen before. Just not enough info.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

What James said. A common cause of excess latency is having “look ahead” plugins active when tracking.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:41 pm What James said. A common cause of excess latency is having “look ahead” plugins active when tracking.
This.

On my Mac, DP11.1 does not exhibit latency in excess of what one would expect given a specific buffer size.

I did make some adjustments to get MIDI and Audio aligned using the Fine Tune Audio I/O Timing screen. See Page 35 of Getting Started Guide.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
deckard1

Post by deckard1 »

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. :)

I'm recording a mono audio track using my electric guitar through an Apogee Jam interface. My guess was it was a 'look ahead' plugin too. However, using no plugins...recording dry straight into the interface with no added plugins...the latency persists.

I haven't checked this though yet...what James Steele said above: "...perhaps monitoring an live audio input through a record-enabled audio track as opposed to an aux track?"

Thanks.
DP 11.11 | 15" MacBook Pro (Mid-2012)| i7 | 16GB RAM | OS X 10.15.7 (Catalina) | Apogee Jam 96k
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The original Apogee Jam was a USB 1.1 interface whose time has come and gone. If you can get it to perform the way you like, great.

The current Jam+ should not be having this issue. You may want to reach out to Apogee for suggestions if that's what you have.

https://apogeedigital.com/blog/apogee-introduces-newjam

Like many newer interfaces, the Jam+ has a feature I look for in any portable interface:
Low latency monitoring with Blend feature
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
deckard1

Post by deckard1 »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:27 pm The original Apogee Jam was a USB 1.1 interface whose time has come and gone. If you can get it to perform the way you like, great.

The current Jam+ should not be having this issue. You may want to reach out to Apogee for suggestions if that's what you have.

https://apogeedigital.com/blog/apogee-introduces-newjam

Like many newer interfaces, the Jam+ has a feature I look for in any portable interface:
Low latency monitoring with Blend feature

Thanks! I actually have the original Apogee Jam so that may in fact be the issue. But, then why would it work okay in Logic Pro and not DP?

I ordered a new interface anyways. Had been planning on it for awhile. It arrives this Tuesday or Wednesday. It’s a Black Lion Revolution 2x2 USB interface:
8DA86CB4-5F22-4896-B0A2-40ED68982415.jpeg
8DA86CB4-5F22-4896-B0A2-40ED68982415.jpeg (195.35 KiB) Viewed 4143 times
deckard1

Post by deckard1 »

Speaking with MOTU tech support later this morning. Will post any solution they happen to find after speaking with them if anyone is curious.
deckard1

Post by deckard1 »

Problem solved by MOTU tech support. :headbang:

If anyone's curious, I had to set up an aggregate device with the built-in output of my Mac and the Apogee Jam...and then choose this new aggregate device in DP11's configure hardware setup window.

I never would have thought of that solution in a million years. :banghead:
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've never been able to get aggregate devices to work, so I feel a little lucky.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

deckard1 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:47 am Problem solved by MOTU tech support. :headbang:

If anyone's curious, I had to set up an aggregate device with the built-in output of my Mac and the Apogee Jam...and then choose this new aggregate device in DP11's configure hardware setup window.

Neither would have I. Thanks for sharing... this goes into the "memory" bank, likely to be promptly forgotten, but with the potential to be recalled when in time of need.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:
deckard1 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:47 am Problem solved by MOTU tech support. :headbang:

Neither would have I. Thanks for sharing... this goes into the "memory" bank, likely to be promptly forgotten, but with the potential to be recalled when in time of need.
It will be kept on this board for posterity. That is why I really appreciate the original poster coming back and sharing the solution. Many times people don’t, which unfortunately then doesn’t add to the collective knowledge.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
thanatopsis
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by thanatopsis »

I've been looking for a fix for a couple years. The problem for me was my UltraLite MK4. Fortunately 99% of what I do is instrumental with plug-ins, but the few times I've wanted to record vocals I've had to use the mixer to mix the raw input in, because the latency was horrendous, like qauarter note delay effect, when routed through DP.
I never bothered to ask MOTU because I've only needed the inputs 3 or 4 times, but when I decided to hook up my old analog synths again, I wanted effects on them, so I had to figure out the latency problem.
I found your post here shortly after you posted it. The aggregate device trick worked for me too.
But then a few days ago my sister needed help using GarageBand over the phone and I was trying it on my computer since I never use it. The aggregate device trick didn't work for GarageBand with the UL MK4. So I googled the problem again and the first thing that came up was MOTU's Pro Audio driver version 91429 from June 21, 2022! That was just a few days after I found your post.
Thanks for sharing. Your tip was a big help. And the new driver seems to fix the latency problem for other programs as well. I don't know why it took years, but at least it works now.
Technology...
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Maybe mark this one, "Solved"
All is well
macbethas

Post by macbethas »

Followed this thread and am still having the latency problem. Even with only 1 mono audio channel (no effects and not running through an aux) armed with a buffer of 16, (and no other instruments loaded) I get a quarter note delay.

I have a Mac Studio 64 GB Ram, Running Ventura 13.12.1
MOTU Ultralite MK5
all MOTU drivers and firmware are up to date

Tried creating aggregate device with Mac's built-in output, but not sure if that is correct. It did not change anything when I selected it as my input device in DP.

Thanks for any wisdom you have.
Beth Schafer
www.bethschafer.com