Firewire

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Firewire

Post by Michael Canavan »

spider wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:51 am Me again
I just bought the two cables to ask for, and it doesn't work, I went to see to update my Motu MK3 and it doesn't have Ventura 13.0
Suggestion ?
Thanks
Oh man, bad move putting Ventura on your new computer.

It still might work but Apple has a habit of breaking older compatability.
Instal the latest driver you can for the MK3 and see how that goes. They report their newer hardware is working in Ventura with the older drivers for Monterey.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
spider

Post by spider »

Michael Canavan wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:21 pm
I just bought the two cables to ask for, and it doesn't work, I went to see to update my Motu MK3 and it doesn't have Ventura 13.0
Suggestion ?
Thanks

Instal the latest driver you can for the MK3 and see how that goes. They report their newer hardware is working in Ventura with the older drivers for Monterey.
Thank you for the information

I just reformatted my mac in Monterey.
and it doesn't work (Motu)
should I change my motu 828MK3 for something newer?
or another test to do… Thank you
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

spider wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:50 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:21 pm
Suggestion ?
Thanks

Thank you for the information

I just reformatted my mac in Monterey.
and it doesn't work (Motu)
should I change my motu 828MK3 for something newer?
or another test to do… Thank you
Install the driver, the driver says it's Monterey compatible from what I saw when I went to their site.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This is the driver to use:
Driver

MOTU Audio Installer
Mac v89555 | Oct. 13, 2021
macOS 12
Don’t forget to follow these instructions within 20 minutes of installing the driver. Sometimes, you have to shut down and reboot before this appears.

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes ... igh-sierra

With a new MacOS or reverting to an older one, you may have to do this again.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
spider

Post by spider »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:52 am This is the driver to use:
Driver

MOTU Audio Installer
Mac v89555 | Oct. 13, 2021
macOS 12
Don’t forget to follow these instructions within 20 minutes of installing the driver. Sometimes, you have to shut down and reboot before this appears.

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes ... igh-sierra

With a new MacOS or reverting to an older one, you may have to do this again.
Good everything works fine
Thank you thank you thank you.
At first sight there is a difference on the audio card the sound is much more open than my old mac mini 2011
Thanks again
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

An update to my saga:

M1 MBP running OS 12.7.1, RME Fireface 800 connected to OWC Thunderbolt Dock 3 (w FW)

RME TotalMix crashes within 5-30 minutes of booting. Have to quit TM on launch.

I recently updated Monterey and now the interface itself is randomly locking up. Ugh. Sometimes Apple really knows how to "improve" things.

I may at some point test running the FF800 through Apple adapters into the USB C of the OWC dock. Couldn't hurt..
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:39 am An update to my saga:

M1 MBP running OS 12.7.1, RME Fireface 800 connected to OWC Thunderbolt Dock 3 (w FW)

RME TotalMix crashes within 5-30 minutes of booting. Have to quit TM on launch.

I recently updated Monterey and now the interface itself is randomly locking up. Ugh. Sometimes Apple really knows how to "improve" things.

I may at some point test running the FF800 through Apple adapters into the USB C of the OWC dock. Couldn't hurt..
Needs to be a Thunderbolt 3 port. A TB3 Dock can have multiple USB-C ports but usually only one is Thunderbolt. A TB4 dock into a TB4 port supports up to 5 TB3 devices on a Mac; 4 devices on a PC.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:31 pm Needs to be a Thunderbolt 3 port. A TB3 Dock can have multiple USB-C ports but usually only one is Thunderbolt.
Thanks, Mike. I did check the docs, and they are two TB3 ports (one has to go to the host, but the other is up for grabs).

I need to work out under what circumstances the FF800 locks up. Is it related to when TotalMix freezes/crashes? Is it not surviving through Mac shut-downs, boot-ups? Etc. Will chime back here, in case anyone is following this.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

pencilina

Post by pencilina »

I use a FF800 (I love them I have two) with the apple adapters Its works perfectly with ventura as long as I give it one of the the dedicated ports on my M1 MBP. I get issues (usually clockish noise) when I use my cheapo hub. That, said I've been having all sorts of issues getting it to play nicely with ventura on the hackintosh in my studio (any audio output is hanious digital noise at full blast) but luckily it still works like a charm on that machine running mojave. I'll figure it out or get an FF802. Good luck and long live the mighty FF800.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

pencilina wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:41 pm I use a FF800 (I love them I have two) with the apple adapters Its works perfectly with ventura as long as I give it one of the the dedicated ports on my M1 MBP. I get issues (usually clockish noise) when I use my cheapo hub. That, said I've been having all sorts of issues getting it to play nicely with ventura on the hackintosh in my studio (any audio output is hanious digital noise at full blast) but luckily it still works like a charm on that machine running mojave. I'll figure it out or get an FF802. Good luck and long live the mighty FF800.
Thanks, pencilina. I was unlucky with M1 MBP with adapters and dedicated ports. Now I'm to the point where I either solve this or switch interfaces. I have an M4 standing by, but I'm not super excited about that option right now. The FF800 is such a more elegant option when it works, but since updating Monterey, it's a mess. No wonder I'm reluctant to update OS's any more.

I did a clean install a couple years ago, took maybe 3 full days. I want to avoid it, as I could easily end up here again. Ah, all that work and it's still broken.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

EDIT/UPDATE: just tested with my 2012 MBP, and something may be going on with the FF800 hardware or audio routing. I suspect there may be multiple things going on. Need to do more thorough troubleshooting.

Circumstantial evidence is that OS 12.7.1 update has either broken something. I've got a few different things going on. Audio input stops working, but playback works, playback locks up, etc.

I'll test the FF800 on the 2012 MBP to confirm that the FF800 hardware still works-- and this is just software conflicts.

FYI, I did replace the power supply on the FF800 a couple years ago, and was expecting to get a bit more life out of it. So I don't think it is the power supply; but I can't rule it out.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

pencilina

Post by pencilina »

If the interface seems OK, I would do a quick test install of Ventura on another boot partition or start up drive with your MBP and see if it works. I haven’t had any issues at all with mine. It’s been super solid (DP is probably a third less stable then on my Mojave machine). I had an ultralight AVB that I completely lost patience dealing with which I sold and just bought a second FF800 because it works so well and sounds so good. I’m sort of planning on Ventura being the OS I’ll use for the next 5-6 years and the FF800 until RME drops all support for it.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

pencilina wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:40 am If the interface seems OK, I would do a quick test install of Ventura on another boot partition or start up drive with your MBP and see if it works. I haven’t had any issues at all with mine. It’s been super solid (DP is probably a third less stable then on my Mojave machine). I had an ultralight AVB that I completely lost patience dealing with which I sold and just bought a second FF800 because it works so well and sounds so good. I’m sort of planning on Ventura being the OS I’ll use for the next 5-6 years and the FF800 until RME drops all support for it.
That's a reasonable idea. I recently made an external drive available for such a thing. It'll be slow, but it could work for test purposes.

I found instructions for using Terminal.app to download the installer (as well as various versions of Monterey, and Sonoma)-- seems to be working.

pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Cool and good luck. FYI, I had to install a ventura test partition with apple phone support when I first got my MPB (which was running Monterey) to test a monitor issue and it was fairy straightforward. Booting off an external HD is not as easy as it used to be:

https://www.macworld.com/article/331916 ... drive.html

Luckily I can pop all sort of drives into my hackintosh for testing with no issues.

I'm assuming your FF was ok on the test machine.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I found a connected compressor (an old RNC) has failed, so that was part of the issue. So now that that cause has been eliminated, I can resume testing.

Thanks so much for the info about booting from externals. I needed it.